Newb wants to know why apps invade privacy, even this forums?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Simple solution. Don't install any apps with permissions that you don't agree with. :)

btw, our Forum App was made for us by Tapatalk. The #1 forum app on the planet.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Many apps need sdcard access to store settings and configurations. Some offer backup support, that data needs to go somewhere.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Also if its app2sd capable...well that modifies the sdcard....most free apps need network access due to the banner ads in them. There's reasons for the permissions. And the reason is listed with the permission.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Simple solution. Don't install any apps with permissions that you don't agree with. :)

btw, our Forum App was made for us by Tapatalk. The #1 forum app on the planet.

Using that logic one can not download many apps at all, and nobody else seems to care? Thats troublesome. From what I gather in this thread you cant make most apps without it needing access to my phone number, serial number and the number of who I am calling? :frown:

Even the local TV station weather apps all want more info/access than they really need? Why is that ya think? Can it not be done without accessing phone calls or something? Cant it check data without suspicion?

And just because Tap a talk made the forum app for you is no justification for what it looks like it's doing?

It would be great if we could adjust permissions post installation that does not require root access/modifications to the phone (See voided warranty). This is what VZW and Google need to do. I wont hold my breath since VZW invented spying on customers, it seems we are all Nielson TV watchers these days.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using that logic one can not download many apps at all, and nobody else seems to care? Thats troublesome. From what I gather in this thread you cant make most apps without it needing access to my phone number, serial number and the number of who I am calling? :frown:

Even the local TV station weather apps all want more info/access than they really need? Why is that ya think? Can it not be done without accessing phone calls or something? Cant it check data without suspicion?

And just because Tap a talk made the forum app for you is no justification for what it looks like it's doing?

It would be great if we could adjust permissions post installation that does not require root access/modifications to the phone (See voided warranty). This is what VZW and Google need to do. I wont hold my breath since VZW invented spying on customers, it seems we are all Nielson TV watchers these days.

if you're worried im pretty sure there are apps that can tell you everything you phone sends through internet connection (packet sniffers) i'd assume thats about the only real way the app could send info about your phone. then you can see for yourself :)

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am toying with aSpotcat right now, its kinda neat. I anticipate a root soon, I think I can tweak permissions post install if I do that.:)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I am toying with aSpotcat right now, its kinda neat. I anticipate a root soon, I think I can tweak permissions post install if I do that.:)

Its possible changing permissions will break the apps...btw I hope you'd go about rooting the proper way and not using a one click root app...those really can be bad for stealing personal info, afterall it basically gets permissions to do anything at all to your phone and you wouldn't see it

Supercharged tweaked Miui.us
Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Its possible changing permissions will break the apps...btw I hope you'd go about rooting the proper way and not using a one click root app...those really can be bad for stealing personal info, afterall it basically gets permissions to do anything at all to your phone and you wouldn't see it

Zoom zoom ;)

Thank you for that tip! I will need to learn more first so I dont brick it.