New user with some questions!

southswelllax

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my HTC droid Incredible for a while now but am just getting into rooting and modding it, but don't know a lot about any of it.

First, any helpful and informative links anyone has would be much appreciated.

Second, what risks come along with rooting and modifying phones?

Thanks

OP
S

southswelllax

Reaction score
Last minute questions! I have decided i am going to use unrEVOked to root my Dinc, install titanium backup an ROM manager (was told they were must haves, are both necessary?), then flash Cyanogenmod 7 with the google apps package (will my contacts and apps still be the same?).
Also, in this article, Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central , the author mentions that some SSH server password needs to be changed or else I will get hacked. Any Dinc users (or anyone else) able to help with this?

OP
S

southswelllax

Reaction score
Bump ^ please answer bolded questions anyone

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
S

southswelllax

Reaction score
Really stroked to go through with my plan. But I still have not gotten answers to above questions. Anyone?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok I am going to try my best here to help out with what I can:

ROM Manager is a very easy to use modding tool that In My Opinion is a great way to get your feet wet when first rooting your phone. It is how I got started and many of the features I used the most can be accessed in the free version and do not require the premium.

Titanium Backup I do not use, but if you use a lot of apps that you dont want to have to set all back up once you flash a ROM then it is a good tool to use. Not necessary but when used correctly it makes flashing new ROMs much quicker. I would go into more detail but as I said I do not use it so my knowledge is limited unfortunately.

When you flash the new ROM you will have to sign back into your Google account, as long as you have your contacts synced with your account they should restore. Some apps you are accustomed to will be included with the ROM, the others you will have to download from the market once you are logged in.

The SSH server password question I do not know, that would be left to more Googling or someone with more knowledge then myself on the subject.

Have you headed over to the Incredible section for mor information? I am sure there will be many more knowledgeable people there on your specific device. Hope I helped at least a little bit!!

OP
S

southswelllax

Reaction score
Wow great answer! Thanks I think I'm going to root and flask cm7