new user w/ questions

michaelnote

Reaction score
So. I just upgraded from an LG Voyager to a Droid phone a ccouple days ago. I am 13 and need some assistance getting to know my phone. 1.) How often are new items added to the market place? 2.) Are there any alternate homes other ADW Launcher and LauncherPro?
3.) Also, what is this, Sapphire 2.0.0? Thanks.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
So. I just upgraded from an LG Voyager to a Droid phone a ccouple days ago. I am 13 and need some assistance getting to know my phone. 1.) How often are new items added to the market place? 2.) Are there any alternate homes other ADW Launcher and LauncherPro?
3.) Also, what is this, Sapphire 2.0.0? Thanks.

1. All the time, if you go to the market and choose a category you can press just in and look at the newest apps in that category.

2. Helix Launcher comes to mind there is a new one called Go Launcher as well.

3. Sapphire is a custom version of Android. There are many such custom versions. To use it, your phone must be rooted. You can study what this means on this forum and should learn if its right for you before you decide to do it.

Mirodd

Reaction score
1. New items are added almost everyday. That said, the amount of apps added or available isn't the same as the amount of quality or useful apps added or available. Read reviews carefully (don't just check for how many stars an app has), check previews, ask around, try them (especially if they're free) and make sure you like them, because your taste/needs might differ from those who reviewed it.
2. There are several other home replacement apps: Zeam, Go, Helix, and others. Like I said above, though, it comes down to quality and usefulness.
3. It's a custom ROM (for rooted phones).

As an aside, which Droid did you get?

Last edited:
OP
M

michaelnote

Reaction score
thank you. this clears up very much.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, at 13 you seem more mature and polite than some of our older users. :D

OP
M

michaelnote

Reaction score
Thank you tekashi. I try to look my best in the public eye.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, at 13 you seem more mature and polite than some of our older users. :D
I agree.

Like others have said the market grows every second it seems. Sapphire 2.0 is a great rom if you are rooted. Since you are still new I would highly recommend that you stay unrooted for a while so you can learn your phone. Then when you feel comfortable (if you want to) root so you can try out custom roms and themes.

Reaction score
Michael - I have had a D2G for just over a couple of weeks. I installed the free ADW.launcher the day after I got the D2G and just installed ADW.launcher EX. My main reason for getting it was to support the developer with $$$$.

I have been looking at rooting my phone as well. However, I have decided to wait for awhile and give myself a chance to learn as much about the phone and it's stock capabilities as possible. I am sure one day I will root it and install a custom ROM - but I'm in no great hurry. I am thoroughly enjoying climbing the learning curve, so to speak. :)

And I find it hard to believe you are 13. I'm sure you give your teachers a run for their money.

Good to meet you and welcome.

CC

OP
M

michaelnote

Reaction score
CC- Thank You and I am also going to stick with the stock abilities of my droid, as they are pretty great as they are.