New trend could alleviate 4g data congestion...

OP
D

dsprik

Reaction score
I understand the business concept of the article. I am simply expanding on the possibilities in the future. 5 years from now, what source(s) do you think wireless data will be coming from? How about a Wi-Fi system tied to existing power lines (not the poles)? Satellites were mentioned. The cable companies are developing Wi-Fi systems now as mentioned in the article - doesn't matter for what reason at the present time. That wasn't the point of my post.

Once cable companies have the technology down, I believe they would expand it out beyond the original business concept mentioned in the article. And it's possible it would have a form (hybrid) that none of us can grasp at this time and place... I foresee multiple systems all working in sync. I think the age of cellular data will not be forever. Did anyone read that Chinese scientists have teleported photons? Implications for communication are immense. Also, recently scientists (can't remember details) observed a subatomic particle that appeared to travel FASTER than the speed of light...

Some of you should have your imaginations running in high gear right now when you hear this stuff... THAT is the purpose of the original post... :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
On side note most places don't use telephone poles anymore, light & sign post is all you'll find ran along roads.

If you're referring to new construction, perhaps yes, but in areas where the infrastructure is several decades old or older, telephone poles are quite the norm. I live 15 miles West of Philadelphia and I'm hard pressed to find a neighborhood that doesn't have power, phone and cable running along the traditional brown sooty wood poles. In fact, they're in the process right now of replacing older bent poles in our neighborhood with new wood poles.

In my own back yard when FIOS came through a few years ago, they replaced one pole on the middle of my yard with two poles in adjoining locations to split the difference since the cables were too heavy to bridge the distance.

Of course there are other neighborhoods where they only have the light poles as you mention, but even those have room for WIFI antennas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Yeah, I also think it depends on the region, seems like most neighborhoods in CA stopped using poles in the 60's. At least that's what I've noticed where I grew up in NorCal-SF bay area & the same down here in SoCal.

sava700

Reaction score
I don't worry about it now, most of the time i'm connected to an open wifi connection from someone's unlocked router at their home or business. But for something like this they really should enable spots in every location they service with enough coverage for that whole service area!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
They could just do like they did here in Austin for the SXSW festival but on a much larger scale, turn homeless people in WIFI hotspots :).

:blink: Where do I sign up? I can carry an antenna! :blink:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
:blink: Where do I sign up? I can carry an antenna! :blink:

I'm with you, as long as I can use my own Wi-Fi signal unimpeded. If so, sign me up lol.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

OP
D

dsprik

Reaction score
Now that's the kind of thinking I was talking about... Homeless but not jobless...:biggrin: