New to the Droid 1 Root family...

OP
Stealth_tC

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
Ok im back to SPRecovery, and did a nandroid backup....as soon as thats done ill try and install gingerbread! To Be Continued.......

Ok did that, and then went to choose rom from sd card, and t says E: No tar archives found....

LoL I feel I'm SO close... I downloaded the gingerbread zip, and put it on my SD card, was I suppose to do something special to the file BEFORE I put in on my sd card?

OP
Stealth_tC

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
Remember flashing the update.zip file from the thread you rooted in?

I think so....

SPRecovery...install...Allow update.zip Installation....Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)????

So I have to change the Gingerbread file to update.zip.....and if I do, do I overwrite the previous update.zip file I used to root my phone??

skrump

Reaction score
Furbearinganimal- Thanks so much for the clarification there. I'm in the same boat as Stealth_Tc. I've rooted my Droid, following the instructions in your signature (Nice write up, very clearly written!). What threw me was making that final jump to install a new ROM. Searching around for guidance, I went over to the "Hacking Help" section of the forum, and tried a read through of that "How to: Install bugless beast for noobs!"... Good God, what a convulted process, 23 steps??? I think there's another write up in that thread that is 30 steps long...I figured there had to be a more straightforward way of Flashing ROMS, I appreciate the confirmation from you. I'm going to take a shot at it tonight...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I always wondered why anyone would jump through so many hoops for a ROM. The Beast isn't even very bugless!

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

OP
Stealth_tC

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
furbearingmammal aka Steve is the MAN!!

Well I know thanks to furbearingmammal aka Steve, I installed 2 different roms last night! Come to find out it was my macs fault...LoL I think. Sorry Steve about your connection problems, but you did help out more then you know, I finally went with
That would be the stock, rooted ROM.

The custom one is my favorite for starting new ROMers on, CyanogenMod 6.1. It's as complicated as you want it to be, even if it is developed by Team Douche. :D It has a very stock-like feel that isn't intimidating at all, and if you like I'll talk you through putting the stock black theme on it to perk up your overall appearance. And enjoy the stock wallpapers. :D

Now this is VERY important. You will need to flash BOTH of these files. Flash this one first.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/sholes/update-cm-6.1.0-Droid-signed.zip

Now flash this one.

http://cyanogenmod-mirror.local.host.name/gapps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip

The second one is known as an app pack. It has all the Google apps that CyanogenMod is NOT legally allowed to distribute as a direct part of their ROM. It's best on a first-time install to boot once between the ROM and app pack.

Okay, at this point I want to say that the backup you made in SPRecovery before attempting to flash any ROM will be your friend if you need it.

Now, watch this video.

Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Now follow these instructions to install the ROM

1. Do a nandroid backup from SPRecovery.
2. Rename the file you're going to install update.zip.
3. Place the file on the root of your sdcard.
4. Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and “x” button at the same time).
5. Choose “Wipe data/factory reset”. You may want to do this more than once.
6. Choose “Wipe cache partition”. You may want to do this more than once.
7. Choose “Install”.
8. Choose “Allow update.zip installation”.
9. Choose “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”.
10. Reboot and you will have to add your Google accounts again.

Now you'll want to do the same thing with the app pack, only you will NOT want to do any wipes.

The method for installing the stock, rooted ROM is to do the exact same thing only without the app pack unless the thread you found it in says to. :)

Let me know if you run into any problems! And yes, all this CAN be done from on the phone if you need to it.

and so far I love it, I even installed Chevyno1 1.1 ulow Ghz Kernel, and also working out good, cant really notice a difference but ehhh I can say its on there at least! LoL

Anyone else needs any help, I can try to assist you, Im no expert BY A LOOOOONG SHOT, BUT I do have somewhat of an understanding now, or at least I know where to find them! LoL

THANKS AGAIN STEVE!! dancedroid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quite welcome. :)

I will, however, suggest you flash 6.1.2 onto your phone when you get a chance. You'll need to install the kernel again (if you want; I noticed stock speeds OC'd to 800MHz felt almost exactly as fast as 1.2GHz was) but you'll have the updated build.prop and your phone will show FRG83D. You don't need to wipe to get it on there, either. :D

OP
Stealth_tC

Stealth_tC

Reaction score
Quite welcome. :)

I will, however, suggest you flash 6.1.2 onto your phone when you get a chance. You'll need to install the kernel again (if you want; I noticed stock speeds OC'd to 800MHz felt almost exactly as fast as 1.2GHz was) but you'll have the updated build.prop and your phone will show FRG83D. You don't need to wipe to get it on there, either. :D

Ill have to flash that....and so should I NOT reinstall the 1.2 kernel? And I don't need to wipe when installing 6.1.2??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You can reinstall the kernel if you want, but there's no need to wipe just to move between incremental builds of the same ROM. The code hasn't changed THAT much.