New to rooting

eptreyg

Reaction score
Instead of joining a billion others at bestbuy today, I have decided to try and root my galaxy nexus. I have two questions:

1)Is there an idiot's guide on how to root a galaxy nexus (VZW)? I've read a few threads but I'm lost due to all the terms. ROM I get, and Theme I get - but bootloader, etc. I was a music major, be gentle.

2) Is it possible to load the 4.1.1 radios and cyanogen 9 as I need the Bluetooth MAP for my vehicle?https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...HZ24GwAw&ved=0CB0QvwUoAQ&q=cyanogen+9&spell=1

???

Reaction score
yes, totally fool proof with the root tool program. only hard part can be getting the drivers on XP to find your phone. but I was able too and anything newer shouldn't have any trouble.

the radios from the newest release have been made into flashable zip that can be used with any rom.

???

Reaction score
windows 7 worked flawlessly for me. The drivers auto loaded up..

only down side to rooting is it wipes your phone completely the first time you unlock it, since we don't have an SD card. so transfer any pics, videos, or anything else you have saved anywhere on your phone. but it's only once. after that, switching between roms doesn't wipe our ad partition. just data.

OP
E

eptreyg

Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much! My final question - do I need to worry about "bootloaders" or anything like that - or does the toolkit take care of it?

???

Reaction score
Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

I've used it on 2 nexus phones and my nexus 7 tab.

its very plug and play. download and install the kit on your pc. plug your phone in using the stock oem cord. transfer anything you want to save. unlock boot loader first, it will walk you thru it. root next.

I took screen caps of my home screen before and saved them to my computer so I had a reference help me remember where I like everything

???

Reaction score
it unlocks your bootloader and flashes a free version of touch rom manager. The you move on to root.

it also will return the phone to stock locked down if you need to for some reason.

just read everything that pops up along the way. But really, I was impressed with how easy rooting has become with this tool

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You can use the snapdragon toolkit found over at xda-developers as well. Both wug's and the snapdragon are essentially one click programs and make rooting waaaaayyyyy easy.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yes and yes

1. Wug's Toolkit is pretty idiot proof (no insult to you or anyone else who uses it), I've used it a handful of times myself because it's quick and easy

2. Yes the radios are available to you even if you remain stock, but you do need an unlocked bootloader to flash those manually I believe. JB is rolling out via OTA right now and the new radios are in there. And CM10 is available if you go that route.