Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Hi people !! Well I was recently using a HTC Droid Eris and was a developer in the Eris forums over at xda. About 4 days ago I went to the beach and I guess I needed to take my Eris with me and swim with it for about 30min. before realizing I had it in my shorts pocket still LOL. So now on Tuesday I'm buying a Verizon Motorola Droid (not the milestone) and was wanting to get some advice on the phone. I'm definitely going to root it and flash a rom to it but what I was wanting was some input from other users who have had this phone for a while. I'm pretty tech savvy and built my own 2.3.2 ROM for the Droid Eris from source and was wondering what some of the devs here can say about the difficulty of making a build for the Droid. I figure if I can put 2.3.2 on an Eris I can do just about anything ! hahaha. What are some apps you guys recommend after rooting and flashing? Do I HAVE to use clockworkmod recovery or are there others? Currently what is the best gingerbread ROM for this device? Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty excited about getting this phone, it's the Android device I wanted to begin with but due to cost, I was forced to get the Eris. Thanks again guys !!! Look forward to doing some good things here at the Droid forums now !!!!!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use Clockwork Mod recovery, SPRecovery, or the newest baddest recovery option: RZRecovery.

If you build a ROM for the Eris I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue building for the Droid.

Good Luck.

jchammer123

Reaction score
SPRecovery and RZRecovery are much more do it yourself where as ClockworkMod is the easier, beginners option. All work great from my experience. The best GB roms IMO are Project Elite 5.2 and Simply Stunning 5.1. Both of these are incredibly smooth! Everyone will have their own favorites though so I'm sure you'll have to try a few for yourself.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
SPRecovery and RZRecovery are much more do it yourself where as ClockworkMod is the easier, beginners option. All work great from my experience. The best GB roms IMO are Project Elite 5.2 and Simply Stunning 5.1. Both of these are incredibly smooth! Everyone will have their own favorites though so I'm sure you'll have to try a few for yourself.

I was just curious about the recovery because with the Eris, clockworkmod bricked a lot of phones and I really didn't want to run the risk. I used a recovery called Amon-RA for the Eris, I wonder if it's possible to use it on the Droid or are Recovery's device specific ?

jchammer123

Reaction score
I believe they are device specific. I've never heard of the one you mentioned. I have personally never had a problem with ClockworkMod. If you want to be safe, try the RZRecovery. Its amazingly fast and user friendly.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Rooting the Droid1 is very easy, there are several different ways to do this, one click method is what I used but with the latest ota from verizon one click method may or may not work. Research rooting the Droid and you'll find lots of info on it. The Droid1 is the most flexible phone out here that is completely open, (meaning not locked down)just about unbrickable.(still could if o/c to much)I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I do. I truly love my Droid and plan on having it for a long time. Let me know if you have anymore questions would be glad to help. As far as roms,there are many all over these forums. My favs are miui(of course) project elite,and sourcery but they aren't making anymore roms but they are still great roms and still available here. I have had my Droid for almost a year now and love it. Very easy to root!

Edit: I use rom manager to dwnld(or I dwld from the devs here) roms but use clockwork or sprecovery and manually flash my roms after a nandroid backup of course. Also use setcpu for ock/uclk and ti-bkup to restore apps. The latest recovery is rzrecovery love that a lot,so much easier. Just give it a shot and happy flashing!

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys! I think i'm going to go with the SPRecovery and probably flash to SimplyStunning 5.1. I really appreciate the warm welcome here and look forward to hopefully building a nice 2.3.3 ROM for you guys. I see a lot of posts on here also about kernels and radios, does anyone have a suggestion for those or should I just leave what's on it ?

jchammer123

Reaction score
I think you'll be very happy with SS 5.1! That's what I'm currently running and it has earned its spot as my everyday rom. The rom is made by Chevyno1, who is an amazing dev with great support. Also, his kernels in my opinion are the best. I'm running his LV 1.2ghz kernel and get quadrant scores consistantly in to 1400's. Needless to say the rom plus the kernel is a dynamite combination.

Also, when you build your own rom I would love to try it out and maybe be a tester!!!

bullswife98

Reaction score
I think you'll be very happy with SS 5.1! That's what I'm currently running and it has earned its spot as my everyday rom. The rom is made by Chevyno1, who is an amazing dev with great support. Also, his kernels in my opinion are the best. I'm running his LV 1.2ghz kernel and get quadrant scores consistantly in to 1400's. Needless to say the rom plus the kernel is a dynamite combination.

Also, when you build your own rom I would love to try it out and maybe be a tester!!!

+1 here for a tester! I'll be a Guinea pig! Lol... Slayer kernals are good,depends on the rom and what your phone likes and how the pair works together. Trial and error till you find the right combo.

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Thanks again for the advice and offering to be testers! I'm sure its going to be a little while though before I put anything out, that way I can get used to the phone. Probably at least a few weeks. I know its going to be a lot different than with the Eris. So excited to start working with this phone though, wish Tuesday would hurry up and get here!! Lol

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Ok so I got the phone and holy crap !!!!! LOL after using the Eris for almost a year, it's like this phone is a turbo charged '67 corvette !!!! hahaha. So anyway, I got a couple questions though. Am I able to root this phone? Here's what I get in the "about phones" settings.

Baseband:
C_01.43.01P

Kernel:
2.6.32.9-g68eeef5 android-build@apa26 #1

Android Version:

Build:
FRG83D

I saw a bunch of stuff recently about the FRG83G update but i'm on "d" so this is ok to root right? I know how much I sound like a noob and I apologize but i'm new to this device and just got it hours ago, I would really hate to mess this phone up. If this version CAN be rooted, can I use the "Universal Androot" or "z4root?"

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Ok so I rooted it "i think" using SuperOneClick v1.7. I put those words in quotations because yes I DO have superuser, however there were steps in the process that said I would have to allow su permissions which never happened. Now i'm just trying to figure out how to get a recovery flashed on here. Also when I use SuperOneClick, does that give me a custom recovery ? I'm so lost here lol !!!

jchammer123

Reaction score
I don't believe that that gives you a custom recovery. The easiest way to get a recovery is to download Rom Manager from the market. Then just flash ClockworkMod recovery. From RM you can also flash SPRecovery or look into RZRecovery (the best).

The D1 is easily the most customizeable phone out there!

jchammer123

Reaction score
Also, if you get a box that pops up and says you'll have to allow super user permissions, just make sure you click allow in the time given!