New to Droid 2, few questions

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I just got my husband the D2. I have a rooted X. I rooted it after having it for 2 days. I don't remember blur at all. Which leads me to one of my questions.

To change the ringtone on the X it gives me the options, 'Android System' or 'Select Music'. On the D2 it just pulls up ringtones. After doing a search I found, I can add music/ringtones on the SD card in media/audio/ringtones. Is that the only way to add custom ringtones? or would rooting it give me the same options I have on the X (rooted Gummy Jar 2.5)

Next is about rooting. I noticed that the roms are the same developers between the X and the D2, but the rooting process is different. What is the best way to root the D2, and what additional applications are recommended.

Last question if anyone can answer...

Other than the obvious screen size, camera, keyboard, what are the differences between the X and the D2 and/or would there be any other than the above mentioned, if I rooted and used the same rom.

Thanks in advance and sorry for it being so long :)

louy99

Reaction score
I can answer a few. Easiest way to root is with z4root. I get a lot of cool ringtones using zedge app. Free in the market :)

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

louy99

Reaction score
That's interesting about zedge. I've never had that problem...ill keep an eye out for that. As for z4root, Darkonion recommends using it. Im sure as you know he is a well known Dev in the droid world. If its good enough for him, its good enough for me. What problems did you experience?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

miketoasty

Reaction score
I just got my husband the D2. I have a rooted X. I rooted it after having it for 2 days. I don't remember blur at all. Which leads me to one of my questions.

To change the ringtone on the X it gives me the options, 'Android System' or 'Select Music'. On the D2 it just pulls up ringtones. After doing a search I found, I can add music/ringtones on the SD card in media/audio/ringtones. Is that the only way to add custom ringtones? or would rooting it give me the same options I have on the X (rooted Gummy Jar 2.5)

Not really sure about this one I don't do a lot with custom ringtones.

Next is about rooting. I noticed that the roms are the same developers between the X and the D2, but the rooting process is different. What is the best way to root the D2, and what additional applications are recommended.

I would recommend using z4root. The program itself works fine just make sure you give it its time as sometimes it does take a few minutes.

Last question if anyone can answer...

Other than the obvious screen size, camera, keyboard, what are the differences between the X and the D2 and/or would there be any other than the above mentioned, if I rooted and used the same rom.

Nothing really other than what you mentioned. My dad has an X I have a 2 and find that they are damn near identical other than the hardware.

Thanks in advance and sorry for it being so long :)

OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Thanks for the replies. I did root it with Z4 yesterday with no issues.

The ringtone menu stayed the same as it was but we did find a couple of ways to do the custom ringtones. I just wish it were as easy as the X. Its not that he wanted a "music" ringtone just something that had more bass so he could hear it better.

Nothing against the D2 but after having the X I don't think I could go back to a small screen.

Reaction score
Use ringdroid. It's free, lets you make custom ringtones from any sound on your phone, and puts them in the right directory so that they pop up as a selection when you go into the system ringtone picker.