New Study Shows that iOS Crashes More Often Than Android

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
i meant the "passion" was normal - not the ass-hatery that can ensue on both sides of the fence (can i say ass-hatery?!) lol

haha nice, yeah either way I have been pretty fortunate with my OG Droid and now my Nexus where I don't get too many app crashes, but I try not to download any apps that could be unstable.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had the Iphone 4 and now the Iphone 4s, and I to this day have never experienced OS crashes. I'm personally over the whole Android is better than IOS and vice versa. I joined this these forums back when I got the OG Droid on launch day, but over time I noticed an increase in bashing on the Iphone.

I did not intend the tone of the article to come off as iPhone bashing, in fact it was really the opposite, and was designed to give Android users a defense against iPhone users that bash Android users. Some people do; however, take things a bit too seriously and get "passionate" about their favorite tech, and bash the other side.

But really, both smartphone operating systems and the hardware that runs them are amazing advances in technology. I would hope that any "bashing" that is going on is simply fun banter between friends, like it is around the offices here. For what it is worth, I have seen the same "overly passionate" behavior on several different Apple sites when their users smack-talking about Android. I think we can all meet in the middle and agree that smartphones are one of the coolest pieces of tech to come out of the technology age, regardless of Android or iOS!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did not intend the tone of the article to come off as iPhone bashing, in fact it was really the opposite, and was designed to give Android users a defense against iPhone users that bash Android users. Some people do; however, take things a bit too seriously and get "passionate" about their favorite tech, and bash the other side.

But really, both smartphone operating systems and the hardware that runs them are amazing advances in technology. I would hope that any "bashing" that is going on is simply fun banter between friends, like it is around the offices here. For what it is worth, I have seen the same "overly passionate" behavior on several different Apple sites when their users smack-talking about Android. I think we can all meet in the middle and agree that smartphones are one of the coolest pieces of tech to come out of the technology age, regardless of Android or iOS!

yeah, just because we are pro-android doesn't mean we have to be anti-apple. This whole "pick a side or we will kill you" (ok no one is threatening death) is a bit ridiculous.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of the crashes on iOS devices occur when people fail to read the app description that explicitly tells them to reboot before running, and just go ahead and try to run it immediately after installing.

If the crash is caused by user error, the fault does not lie with the device or OS.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah, just because we are pro-android doesn't mean we have to be anti-apple. This whole "pick a side or we will kill you" (ok no one is threatening death) is a bit ridiculous.

When people ask me what my preferences are, I tell them that I am a geek; not a fanboy. I am in favor of technology, not certain brands. What I like to see are revolutionary hardware specs. I don't care what company they come from.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
To be fair, a lot of the crashes on iOS devices occur when people fail to read the app description that explicitly tells them to reboot before running, and just go ahead and try to run it immediately after installing.

If the crash is caused by user error, the fault does not lie with the device or OS.

Very good point.

I've had the Incredible, Incredible 2 and the iPhone 4S. There have been less crashes of my iPhone than either of my Incredibles. And none of those had enough significant crashes to have a second thought about.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Base on my experience with the IPad2, it freezes/lags/apps crash a fair amount - never lived up to the hype for me. My Rezound is rock-solid, but I don't like how Sense forces me to do some things a certain way, much how IOS irritates me.

lemodular

Reaction score
Take note that the data was compiled by [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crittercism, which is backed by Google; not necessarily biased but I thought it was an interesting fact.[/FONT]

riko540

Reaction score
I believe it almost everyone I know with an iPhone has had issues with it at one time or another. Although the same can be said of people I know with Android phones. I personally never had my Droid Incredible crash when it was stock but since I have rooted my phone I have crashed it a few time which I totally expected too.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
So long as tech products are made by humans there will ALWAYS be some issues. So obviously that includes iOS and Android. Until we create some super robot group that makes perfect products and then one day betrays us, we will continue to have issues with our devices. Hopefully they are at a minimum though.

goosedeath

Reaction score
To answer your first question. I believe the study was referring to crashes of the OS itself, even when it was an app that caused the crash. As for your second question... It referenced all apps. The source link for the article had quite a bit of info that might clear it up for you, but was far too in-depth to include everything, so I summarized the main conclusion.

Gotcha. I didn't mean to knit pick or be difficult. :)

Sent from my Liquified Galactic Unicorn.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I was at the VZW store today and was looking at the razer maxx. A rep was helping me and at some point he let me know he had the Iphone 4s. At some point I pushed the browser icon on the razer maxx and the phone froze up for 3 seconds. He then jumped all over that and said "that's why I'll never own an Android". Haters everywhere!

HamDog

Reaction score
I think the report leaves out a lot of details. Android phones differ. One model may crash more than others. They're not all equal. Like many others here, I started my Droid experience with the OG Droid the weekend it was released. Being tired of $85+ monthly bills, I then switched to the Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile ($25/month). All I can say is that the Triumph has been an absolute piece of junk. The OG Droid was much better. And I'm not talking about reception which is based on carrier, but I'm talking about quality. GPS almost never works on the Triumph. Constantly needs reboots. I miss calls because it loses reception. Wifi works half the time. Constantly gotta restart the browser. etc. etc. etc. BUT....I'm saving $60/month. Considering the savings, the Triumph is worth it (even with all it's headaches). I don't talk much on the phone anyways and have had my fill of apps over the past years. I really don't even install that many apps, just a few. Maybe I'm getting burned out or just frustrated with the issues of the Triumph.

Getting back to topic, this is why the study of which OS crashes more is pointless since there are so many different models of Android phones.

shiccy

Reaction score
Haha this is a joke

I'm going to lay this down here and call this article / "results" of this complete and utter bullsh*t. I owned a Original Droid and then bought a Droid 3 when my contract was up. I had my Droid 3 for exactly 3 days before I sent it back, and one of my BIGGEST complaints was the crashes that occurred with the device. I have NEVER been so dissatisfied that I actually returned a device in less than three days. While the crashes were definitely not my ONLY complaint, it was one of the major ones. NOT TO MENTION on *more* than one occasion I was unable to make phone calls - including emergency ones - because it just flat out would not connect to the network at all until I rebooted.

Fast forward a bit to the phone that I got in exchange for the D3 - my iPhone 4. While I've not done much with the 4S (some friends have it), I can tell you that without a doubt my D3 AND OD BOTH crashed MUCH more than my iPhone - and I'm a power user, and have my phone connected at the hip.

In the YEAR that I've had it (or just shy thereof) I have had to reboot my phone approximately once a MONTH. Even with my OD I had to reboot at least every week due to SOMETHING on the phone not working right.

Again I say BULL. I hugely question the objectivity and how these "statistics" were obtained. Were they "crashes" as dictated by the OS? If so, I would surmise to say that Android probably just doesn't report as much. I say this because any of the "crashes" I've ever experienced went like this:

*open app*
"This app has had an error. Please send a message with your support info!"
*app functions flawlessly w/out having it force closed and/or having to close and reopen it*

Also, I'm not anti-Android by ANY means. I severely miss my Google Nav (NO app on iPhone comes even close), and tighter integration with Facebook and Twitter (not to mention being able to post to ANYTHING via the Camera Photo Album app (iPhone just does *not* do that, and it's a huge downfall / fail for Apple). This said, I can't say, BECAUSE of the quality control checks (or severely lacking thereof) that many Android manufacturers have had in the past disuade me against Android in the future. Maybe when the next Nexus comes out I'll change my tune, but as of right now, I'm quite happy with a phone that #1-works, #2-fits in my freaking pocket #3-construction is solid as heck. #4- and I know I'll get blasted for this one, but it's worth mentioning - look at the number of peripherals / accessories that are made for iPhone and now do the same for Android. Talk about mismatch! Definitely will stick with my iPhone & am looking forward to a 4G version (hopefully we'll get one this year *crosses fingers*)