New Social Group - Ex-Blackberry Users

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in!! Longtime BB user (7250, 8130, Curve, S1). Made the jump a week or so ago to an Imagio and right back to my Curve. Always looking for something new and the Droid looks to be the beast.

Dillemma now......go to VZW store Friday morning (have to confirm when they will open) or just pre-order at BB?????:D

either way, go to best buy... they do the $100 rebate instantly. welcome to the forum!

qoncept

Reaction score
I've been using a Curve for about 5 months. I like it more than I ever thought I would, but I still wish I had waited on renewing my contract for this. If only I'd known.. I just bought a Droid on ebay and should have it mid/late next week -- it's gonna be rough.

My main gripes with the Blackberry are speed when running more than one app, the Google Voice app is inconvenient enough to use that it's worthless to me, other apps are limited (especially free ones), and the BS Verizon GPS lockdown. Only the first is really a fault of the phone, but so be it.

Really glad Verizon is getting the Droid. I want my phone to be a phone first, and no one else can even touch Verizon's coverage. I actually usually go outside when I talk on the phone out of habit from when I had Sprint and HAD to be outside.

thedon

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do. I am on Tour #3, the trackball broke again, so its #4. Went to the store, they said since its the same issue I can switch the Droud for Free:icon_ banana:

Anyone have any regrets?

xkwwwx

Reaction score
bumped my storm on friday for the droid. what a difference! 98% of droid kills the storm 1 and 2! if i go over the positives my fingers will fall off so i will note the negatives.

no bluetooth support for voice dial/commands.
however the speaker phone input for these commands are good to excellent. command keywords are different so it takes some getting used to. if you contacts include both first and last names you will need to say them both and also (home work mobile)
otherwise it has full bt support. you can answer and end calls with your bt, but you cannot wake up phone or vad with bt button.

when using both bt voice and bt media, voice will interupt media but may not restore media connection. there may be a fix in market place try bluetooth + headphones.... app

no dedicated phone answer and end keys.
you will get used to it and the phone app opens way faster than bb.

useless google search hard key...unless you google search all day... and no convenience keys to configure...
you will get used to it.

3 homescreens sounds like a lot, but with the amount of app space you will soon fill it up fast.you can create folders and fill them up!!.

there are many little quirks that seem redundent...however there are hundreds of fixes and options available in marketplace..
some cool helpfull free apps to try:

stay awake and screen on widget... controls locking,and sleeping
flexillis mobile security...virus and malware,backup and lost phone locator
not call log prefs!!!!! very cool set where your phone goes after a call
internal memory widget.....(meterberry like/available mem widget) no need to ever reset this phone
bluerss...blows viigo away!!!!!!! you can use simple keywords to fine feeds!

this is just to name a few.

have fun!!!!!

Traydoggz

Reaction score
I held a wake for my BB curve on Friday when I bought my Droid. For me the BB turned out to be just a texting device, I couldn't get over the fact that I was not able to receive my emails from work on the BB, and that damn truncate message drove me up the wall. Oh well, so I lost BBM, I'll survive.

jj14

Reaction score
Count me in too! I had a S1 and a Tour. No comparison...the Droid is completely amazing:heart:

bguild

Reaction score
I guess you convertees haven't had any issues with Exchange sync on your Droids huh? Honestly, Exchange support is kind of poor on this phone. Search the forum for the other threads with details if you care to. No Exchange AS provisioning support, no GAL, no Accept/Decline buttons on invites being sent. I love my Droid to death, so I've decided to overlook these things until they are fixed in a software update (hopefully soon)

New2Droid2010

Reaction score
OMG - Did I do the right thing?

Hello All, I just got my Droid X - I had a BB Storm 1 and have been a BB user since BB was a big wide thing with no phone on it - a loonnng time. The Droid seems neat but honestly I have a headache after having fooled with it for the past 7 or 8 hours or so. I miss my "MISSED CALL" notification that popped up on my BB :-(, keep touching the touch screen to get a home screen and NADA and can't figure out why all of my FB friends are now in my contacts and why my contacts are showing only the history of text messages, etc. :-( I have downloaded and read the manual but it really isn't that helpful. I'm usually pretty savvy at learning new things and I hope I will learn this. I'm blown away by the browsing capabilities and how fast this thing is but I have no email (other than Gmail) and that, along with these other issues is making me wonder...anyone else having BB withdrawal??? :)

Loving this forum though so thanks for all of the posts!dancedroid

qoncept

Reaction score
@New2Droid:
Download Missed Call from the market. You can set up LEDs for different notifications just like with your Blackberry. I also use SMS Popup to make txt messages come up when I get them.

Droid X handles Facebook different than my Droid did. I don't think people have found a happy solution yet. In the meantime, open the My Accounts app and delete your Facebook account if you don't want those people showing in your contacts. On the Droid, Facebook could sync with just your Google contacts. I'd assume they'll fix it on the X as it seems NO ONE IN THE WORLD wants all of their Facebook contacts showing on their phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by contacts only showing the text message history. I did notice there are 3 dots at the top of the contact's screen now on the X, for 3 screens. Try swiping your finger from right to left or left to right in the contact screen.

New2Droid2010

Reaction score
Thanks qoncept!

Thanks so much for the tips! That's exactly what I needed to do with the contacts. Now if I can just get my law firm email set up and figure out a few more things I will be cooking with gas! I just don't find the user guide all that helpful with detailed questions so I appreciate this forum and in particular, thank you for your help!:motdroidvert:

qoncept

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't know how they could make a comprehensive guide to everything you want to do. There are so many apps you can download that interact in different ways and change functionality from version to version that it's really impossible.

Blackberry might be documented better because so many of its hidden features just aren't all that intuitive. Most things you can figure out in Android with enough playing around, but on BB there are things you'd never find without a guide. FWIW, the ONLY thing I miss about my Curve is the keyboard, but I'd rather have more screen and a smaller phone than have a keyboard (the original Droid keyboard was completely worthless).

That is one thing I find kind of annoying with Android -- Google seems to change things from version to version (I've used 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2, plus Moto's customizations on Droid X) just for the sake of change. The default Android keyboard has some non-trivial changes in every single version.