New Social Group - Ex-Palm Users

J

JohnDroid

JohnDroid has created a new social group called "Ex-Palm Users", with the following description:

If you are used to a Palm phone (be it the older series, or the new WebOS series) this is the place to discuss your Droid questions.

To join this group visit the social groups homepage where this new group will be listed.

ebean

Reaction score
JohnDroid has created a new social group called "Ex-Palm Users", with the following description:

If you are used to a Palm phone (be it the older series, or the new WebOS series) this is the place to discuss your Droid questions.

To join this group visit the social groups homepage where this new group will be listed.
well, here i am! i posted looking for ex-palm addicts users. had every single palm since the beginning and am really nervous about switching but working on making it work.
i'm a standalone - won't do exchange with my info at work - so i switched over to outlook. will run my aol accounts through the email app - which i confirmed with verizon tech, is there. will sync my outlook to gcalendar with companionlink or, if it is ready, missinglink...whichever one is better.
will miss the really amazing version of bubblet - i logged over 24k games of megashift bubblet whilst on the nyc subways!!! totally addicted. wishing someone would upgrade the sad android version that's out there.

i was going to wait for the pre on verizon but a) i'm not sure they will actually get it; b) i wasn't impressed by the keyboard.

join me...so i don't feel so alone!!!!

performancedesign

Reaction score
I'm here - already missing some of the efficiency you could perform stuff like phone calls/alternate # phone calls, calendar entries, etc. 4 year old treo 650 synced more and faster than this...I hope it gets better. Love a lot about it but some major issues that might be sending the phone packing in 29 days.

I agree on the Pre - they are getting it, but the key board sucks. Put it flush with the surface (more like Treo Pro) and probably best key board out there. The webOS is what I would like but can't wait until January. Droid form factor with Pre OS...gimme that.

cinque

Reaction score
former palm additict who moved to the droid because the 755p was crapping out and I wanted a smartphone replacement and I hate bb so droid is the only option on vz

souljerr

Reaction score
Seems we'll never get one phone that is perfect. Since we have the Droid let's hope they get things worked out with the next software update.

hkklife

Reaction score
Similar situation here...I've been a die-hard Palm OS user since I got an original Pilot 1000 in May '96 at Egghead Software (remember that place?).
I've got YEARS of accumulated contacts, calendar, and memo entries on my VZW 755p. It's still functional and I also have a TX as a spare Palm OS backup device but I have finally reached the point where I need something with more robust web-browsing capabilities.

On the positive side, I am so impressed by the Droid's overall construction, screen quality/size/resolution and of course Google Maps Navigation. That is THE killer app for this device!

Prior to the Droid (got it on launch day) I was carrying BOTH a VZW Moto V9m dumbphone + my 755p b/c the Treo is such a terrible device for using as an actual telephone. Tried a BB Storm for about 4 days last year and returned it in disgust. I was also not impressed with the Tour or any of VZW's current crop of WM devices.

Right now, I'm unfortunately still underwhelmed by the Droid in several aspects. It's nowhere near as easy to use one-handed as a Treo and the battery goes down very quickly if you do anything more taxing than making phone calls or sending text messages. The voice performance, while better than my Treo, still falls far short of past Moto VZW phones I've had such as the V710, E815, and V9m.

I may exchange my day 1 Droid for anhother unit this week to determine if I am going to stick with the Android platform or go back to my battered but trusty 2-device combo. Another option would simply to just buy another gently used 755p or even a Centro for VZW and try to hold out for another year.