New Skype?

greyghost04

Reaction score
I just watched a new Droid commercial. The subject was Skype. It said you can call from any country to any country and not use the phone's minutes. Does this mean I could be in Paris and call Chicago with the only charges to my Skype account?

Bdog

Reaction score
I think it's only Skype to Skype, from he commercials I've heard.. Don't take my word for it though, I don't use it and wouldn't know for sure

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I think it's only Skype to Skype, from he commercials I've heard.. Don't take my word for it though, I don't use it and wouldn't know for sure

I'm pretty sure that it has to be Skype to Skype. Otherwise, you need to have your Droid set up with Verizon for international calls.

-Mike

OP
greyghost04

greyghost04

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that it has to be Skype to Skype. Otherwise, you need to have your Droid set up with Verizon for international calls.

-Mike

That's pretty much how I thought it was. The commercial gives the impression that you will not incur Verizon charges. You'll see it eventually.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

-Mike

That's pretty much how I thought it was. The commercial gives the impression that you will not incur Verizon charges. You'll see it eventually.

Confirmed, Skype to Skype, but remember you still use Verizon minutes
Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

OP
greyghost04

greyghost04

Reaction score
I have a Nokia N800 I bought years ago. It's basically a small laptop a little bigger than our Droids. I've taken it to Europe and all you need is a wi-fi connection to talk on Skype anywhere in the world. You only use your Skype minutes (basically almost free). This is how the Droid should work. Oh wait, I forgot the Droid is in partnership with Verizon and the Nokia N800 is not.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I have a Nokia N800 I bought years ago. It's basically a small laptop a little bigger than our Droids. I've taken it to Europe and all you need is a wi-fi connection to talk on Skype anywhere in the world. You only use your Skype minutes (basically almost free). This is how the Droid should work. Oh wait, I forgot the Droid is in partnership with Verizon and the Nokia N800 is not.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this (last few sentences).

Bdog

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't put it passed Verizon to make sure you couldn't use Skype completely free, as doing so would result in losing too much money over users lowering or completely getting rid of their minutes plans.