New Record! SMS App sends 450 characters in single SMS!

mankash

Reaction score
A new app, KyshMysh compresses upto 450 characters into a single SMS, versus the default limit of 160!

It's FREE on the Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kandroid.mms

Check out their promo YouTube video here: KyshMysh App Promotional Video - YouTube

KyshMysh employs cutting edge compression techniques to pack as many as 450 English characters into a single SMS. Think of KyshMysh as an incredibly good “zip” utility for text messaging.

Secret Sauce: KyshMysh's patent pending technology uses a training algorithm to “teach” the app a given language. Currently, KyshMysh is fluent in English, and has been able to compress upto 450 characters to within 160, which is the upper limit of the SMS standard. However, much like an infant learning a new language, KyshMysh doesn’t compress (comprehend) words and patterns that it hasn’t encountered during training, or is statistically unlike the rest of the language. For instance, the word “Djibouti” is statistically very different from a regular English word, in that it is rare for a “j” to follow a “D” in regular English. If you input gibberish into KyshMysh, its compression ratio drastically reduces. Similarly, compression of other languages won’t be on par with that of English.

Hollywood67

Reaction score
Tried. Wont work.. error 33001

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frankly, anybody that I need to send that much in a message has an email account on their phone. Plus, they have to have KyshMysh installed as well for it to work, otherwise it's gibberish to them.

Sorry, I'm suspicious of anyone who's first post is promoting something.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Tried, and it worked perfectly. I sent myself a message with over 400 characters. The app returned to me a message from 143 character sms compressed to an uncompressed message witb the original number of characters word and letter for word and letter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Frankly, anybody that I need to send that much in a message has an email account on their phone. Plus, they have to have KyshMysh installed as well for it to work, otherwise it's gibberish to them.

Sorry, I'm suspicious of anyone who's first post is promoting something.

Your concern is understandable, however I tried it, it worked exactly as expected. I was skeptical, but my skepticism disappeared once I tried it.

OP
M

mankash

Reaction score
Word From Developer

Hello Folks!

Thanks for trying the app. I developed it. It's legit, works as advertised. The 450 is NOT a hard limit. The closer your message is to the training algorithm used, the better the compression.

When trying the app the first time, Try sending the following message:

Kira, a Bornean orangutan became the first animal to be inserted with a birth control device meant for humans, as the Cleveland zoo didn't want her to get pregnant. In exchange for his medical services, the assisting doctor got to ride a giant tortoise. If only animals could neuter humans & ride them as trophies.

When compressed, the message looks like: ,00.YG*FQX2vAnd.N.a f0U#b&2":FqTI'U7a62#oZo6fpaFJ"m l1A5'r=adF>lpdWnGX0%<ZB;#U" LALv'?O0A1"-=No= .7f#J)j=!z5Aw)8EG#JjB V7'pby0pz7Pqakkd

If you send the message to a device with KyshMysh intalled, it decmopresses perfetly.

Give it a try. And remember, I'm here to answer any questions.

Cheers

OP
M

mankash

Reaction score
Tried. Wont work.. error 33001

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Hello Hollywood67! I'm the developer of the app. I've never encountererd this error before. If you can be a little more descreptive, I can help you smoothen your ride with KyshMysh. Also, please look at my previous post about trying the app the first time around.

Cheers!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your concern is understandable, however I tried it, it worked exactly as expected. I was skeptical, but my skepticism disappeared once I tried it.

You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated, you'll have to agree. I know my friends wouldn't as they prefer short text messages.

Last edited:
OP
M

mankash

Reaction score
You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated.

Since my texts are short, I'll give it a pass.

aaf709 - You're right. Both the sender and receiver needs the app installed. JUST like any other form of peer-to-peer communication (Skype, WhatsApp, Gtalk ...). That said, we're also working on use cases that do not require 2 people to enjoy the app - say news updates from a server to your phone direct. That would be of GREAT benifit to people without data plans, and those who have free incoming SMS (most of the world other than the US). Feel free to suggest feature you'd like. We're listening.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated.

Since my texts are short, I'll give it a pass.

Well, your observation is right in one aspect...both sides need the app installed, but my test was not flawed. Just like if I want to video chat with someone else on Tango, both I and the other party need to install Tango. Want to have "push to talk" with Tikl, both parties have to install Tikl. Want Bluetooth file transfer, both sides need the tool to communicate.

The app is free, it works, and can cut your texting costs by two thirds. I see that as something worthy of consideration. Don't get me wrong, TextFree works for unlimited texts, is free, and...wait...it's coming...only requires one party to install to use, but if both want to reduce texting costs, both, yes, I said both have to install.

The one thing that this app has over other text apps that are free is that it doesn't use the data connection. The text goes out over the normal cellular connection, just like normal texts. In fact, all it does is compress the text to a character algorithm when sending, and then uncompresses on the other side, not much different than a Zip file compression. It's a simple and almost too obvious solution to a problem that plagues many who text a lot. So instead of having over 1,000 texts in a month, you could potentially have only 375. Think of the money in text overage charges that could save. That alone is enough to put it in a class by itself.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The one thing that this app has over other text apps that are free is that it doesn't use the data, the text goes out over the normal cellular connection. That alone is enough to put it in a class by itself.

From what I've been able to see is that texting is separate from data anyway. I have unlimited data, but no text plan. 20 cents is added to my bill when I send or receive a text message.

So using this and sending a long text would cost me 20 cents instead of 60 cents. That is good, but as my texts are like "See you there" this won't save me. Anything longer I'll either email or *shock* call them. It may save you, though.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
aaf709 - You're right. Both the sender and receiver needs the app installed. JUST like any other form of peer-to-peer communication (Skype, WhatsApp, Gtalk ...). That said, we're also working on use cases that do not require 2 people to enjoy the app - say news updates from a server to your phone direct. That would be of GREAT benifit to people without data plans, and those who have free incoming SMS (most of the world other than the US). Feel free to suggest feature you'd like. We're listening.

Mankash, I am an instant and genuine fan of your work - even after only hours since being first introduced to it. It's so blatantly obvious of a simple solution to a nagging problem that many suffer, and I am shocked it took this long for someone as clever as you to come up with the answer. You my friend, are a solution provider. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's getting 4 messages that are pieces of the original text sent to me by someone who has unlimited texting, while I only have 250/month before I get whacked at $0.20 per text after. ;)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
From what I've been able to see is that texting is separate from data anyway. I have unlimited data, but no text plan. 20 cents is added to my bill when I send or receive a text message.

So using this and sending a long text would cost me 20 cents instead of 60 cents. That is good, but as my texts are like "See you there" this won't save me. Anything longer I'll either email or *shock* call them. It may save you, though.

No one app is the best solution for everyone. For people who send very short texts, no...this won't offer any benefit. Still there are plenty of people I know who would sooner text a 200 word text to someone rather than email them or dial the phone. Those people will benefit greatly from this app.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

vatothe0

Reaction score
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's getting 4 messages that are pieces of the original text sent to me by someone who has unlimited texting, while I only have 250/month before I get whacked at $0.20 per text after. ;)
They should just send an MMS at that point. 1000 character limit, counts as one message, works with any carrier in the USA.
It's a good idea but since it would require everyone to adopt it at the same time, I doubt it will go further than a niche novelty.

The target market is people with android devices, no data service, a limited messaging plan and only messaging other people that at least have an android device.