New phone, quick question..

JLangevin

Reaction score
So Verizon is going to be sending me a new Droid since mine has a faulty charger port, here is my question...

I will be returning my original phone to stock unrooted 2.1, when I get thew phone, I will be rooting it, will I be able to simply load a backup ROM (will backup my current ROM before I unroot) on the new device, or will this only work on the phone the backup was created on?

I hate the idea of having to setup everything all over again... ugh.

Can this be done?

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
Ok, so since I use Clockwork Recovery, do I simply do the standard Root wth RSD, load CW, reboot in recovery and select my backup zip?

Whats the worst that would happen?

I didnt know if there would be a problem since I dont know if there is any identifying data built into the rom that would conflict with the new device.

ChugIt

Reaction score
Pop your SD card in, flash SPRecovery or Clockwork. As long as the backup in on the SD card (AFTER ROOT OF COURSE), Yes it will restore your backup no problem. I did it just 3 days ago for a friend. She was rooted with Sapphire and a theme. Her new Droid looked exactly like her old one in no time.

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
This is excellent news! Thanks..

Also, is it possible for CW to flash my unrooted backup that was made in SPR? When I try and load the zip saved in nandroid that I named unrooted2.1_backup it says something along the line of "No data"

If for some reason my pre-rooted backup is corrupt, how do I get this back to stock 2.1? Im assuming I need to load an old 2.0 Rom and do the OTA update? Can someone provide instructions on that please?

Sorry to be a pain, but I certainly appreciate this community!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is excellent news! Thanks..

Also, is it possible for CW to flash my unrooted backup that was made in SPR? When I try and load the zip saved in nandroid that I named unrooted2.1_backup it says something along the line of "No data"

If for some reason my pre-rooted backup is corrupt, how do I get this back to stock 2.1? Im assuming I need to load an old 2.0 Rom and do the OTA update? Can someone provide instructions on that please?

Sorry to be a pain, but I certainly appreciate this community!

You can't install a backup made in SPR via CW, and vice versa. The nandroids are incompatible.

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
Should I be able to simply reflash SPR onto the device using RSD Lite again? Then perform my restore?

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
Does the free version allow me to do this? I have not, and dont plan on buying Rom Manager. I only used it to get CW Recovery loaded.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the free version allow me to do this? I have not, and dont plan on buying Rom Manager. I only used it to get CW Recovery loaded.

I have no idea.

Are you running stock now? Why not make a backup in CW before loading your old nandroid?

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
No, I am not running stock now. My new device will not be here until monday. I am currently running Sapphire 8.4 with Galaxy s Theme.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, I am not running stock now. My new device will not be here until monday. I am currently running Sapphire 8.4 with Galaxy s Theme.

Sorry, mid-afternoon energy null here...I think I'm confused as to what you want to do with the new device other than restoring an old nandroid.

OP
J

JLangevin

Reaction score
I want to backup my current device and restore the backup on my new device...

I want to take my old device and restore it back to an unrooted state. The unrooted backup was saved with SPR not CW.

RobStemen

Reaction score
What I did was backup immediately before I swapped phones (they let you keep your sdcard which is where the backups are) and then I used RSD Lite and sbf's to get my old Droid to fresh, out of the box 2.0.1. If that's worth anything.