New phone - multiple issues

GuyPaddock

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got the Droid X this past Wednesday, and so far I like it. However, I have encountered the following recurring issues:
  • Google Maps Navigation forces closes sporadically during navigation.
  • Google Maps Navigation occasionally makes black squares appear over the screen when attempting to load a StreetView picture of the destination.
  • Google Voice Search intermittently will display a spinner in the center of the screen and immediately stop responding after requested via the microphone key on the keyboard.
  • Using the volume key on the side of the unit after having played music causes the unit to adjust both the ringer volume and media volume simultaneously, with both volume overlays alternating back and forth in the same part of the screen.
  • After a reboot, system forgets about a notification ringtone stored in MP3 format on the SD card and switches back to standard "Droid" notification ringtone. However, the "Notification Ringtone" setting still indicates that the custom one is being used when examined.
  • Rotating the screen while entering text causes text to be lost. In addition, after rotating the screen in certain applications (Toggl, for example), pressing the keys on the on-screen keyboard does not enter text. The only fix is to return to the Home screen, go back to the app, and try to enter the text again without rotating.
  • Occasionally, returning to the home screen causes only the wallpaper to be displayed, without any icons.
  • Slacker Radio loses track of "Recently Played" songs and no longer plays tracks from any station. The only fix is to go under "Settings", press "Reset account", and then log-in again.

I have read threads about some of the issues I've mentioned, so I'm hoping I'm not alone here. My understanding is that the next version of the Android OS (Froyo 2?) is being rolled out and might fix some of these issues -- is that correct?

Here's what my phone says right now:

System version: 1.13.604.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.04P
Kernel version: 2.6.29 w30471@il93Inxdroid08 #1

OP
G

GuyPaddock

Reaction score
Hrm. Navigation might be getting fixed... while I was browsing the Android Market, my phone just informed me that I can update Google Maps to 4.4.0.

Didn't 4.4.0 come out all the way back in July?

ecfiffer

Reaction score
wow, sounds like you have a few bugs. why not do a factory reset and see if you will still have the same bugs after setting your device back up?

OP
G

GuyPaddock

Reaction score
Hrm, I'm not keen on the factory reset only because I just got the phone on Wednesday, haven't really loaded anything into it, and saw these issues right out of the box. I don't see how doing the factory reset would give me anything different than what the unit shipped with...

In addition, I found out that the nav issue is mentioned in the Motorola Forums; I've seen issues with Voice Search mentioned a few times in the forums as well; and a friend of mine with the original Droid mentioned he has seen the icon-less wallpaper bug a few times on his unit. Motorola also makes mention that "orientation affecting text input" will be corrected in the upgrade to Froyo 2.

My guess is that these are all bugs, rather than issues with my config that would go away with a reset.

debaucher

Reaction score
I agree with a factory reset. You may have just got it a few days ago and not loaded anything onto it yet but that just means your reset will be quick and easy.
And, if the reset does not fix the problem you are not out any time.

I just file this under the" troubleshooting" steps you shoul take in order to potentially save you some time and grief in the future.

Once the reset is done I would then check to see if there are any OTA updates avaiable and go from there.

Good luck

D.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
  • Google Maps Navigation forces closes sporadically during navigation. Haven't seen this.
  • Google Maps Navigation occasionally makes black squares appear over the screen when attempting to load a StreetView picture of the destination. Haven't seen this. Sounds like it is having trouble loading the data.
  • Google Voice Search intermittently will display a spinner in the center of the screen and immediately stop responding after requested via the microphone key on the keyboard. I have seen this. Sometimes the voice search app will hang. You can reboot but an easier way is to kill the voice task and try again.
  • Using the volume key on the side of the unit after having played music causes the unit to adjust both the ringer volume and media volume simultaneously, with both volume overlays alternating back and forth in the same part of the screen. I haven't seen this. I wonder if your music player is causing it.
  • After a reboot, system forgets about a notification ringtone stored in MP3 format on the SD card and switches back to standard "Droid" notification ringtone. However, the "Notification Ringtone" setting still indicates that the custom one is being used when examined. Haven't seen this, but I like "Drrrooooiiiid"
  • Rotating the screen while entering text causes text to be lost. In addition, after rotating the screen in certain applications (Toggl, for example), pressing the keys on the on-screen keyboard does not enter text. The only fix is to return to the Home screen, go back to the app, and try to enter the text again without rotating. I think this is the fault of a poorly designed app. I've never seen it.
  • Occasionally, returning to the home screen causes only the wallpaper to be displayed, without any icons. This is because you've got a lot of stuff running on your phone and the launcher has been killed by the OS. You can try uninstalling some of the stuff you've got running--apps, widgets, live wallpapers. You could try using another launcher like Launcher Pro. You could try using something like Autokiller, but there's controversy over whether an app like that makes sense to use.
  • Slacker Radio loses track of "Recently Played" songs and no longer plays tracks from any station. The only fix is to go under "Settings", press "Reset account", and then log-in again. Sounds like a problem with Slacker. I use Pandora because I don't like how Slacker loads on startup and runs continuously in the background.
All in all, I don't know if you have a bad phone, bad SD card, or just some buggy apps installed.

Last edited:
OP
G

GuyPaddock

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to save my prefs, icon locations, call log, etc?