New Phone - Bricked within hours

Finalchrono

Reaction score
I just got the LG Vortex (Yea, i'm poor). I decided to root the phone immediately to start installing and messing with new roms. So I downloaded rom manager and titanium backup and backed up the phone successfully and was about to try and install the new overclocked kernels to the phone when I noticed that they weren't showing up when I went into the folder on the sd card. Anywho, the website I got the kernels from said to try and boot into recovery and install them that way, so I tell the phone to reboot into recovery and now my phone is stuck showing the LG logo and won't do anything else no matter what. I've tried holding down buttons and pulling the battery and everything, and it won't budge. Any help would be much appreciated as this is the only phone people can contact me on X_X.

Edit: Found out there's a way to hard reset the phone by holding down volume down + home and powering on the phone. Unfortunately even this didn't work....

Last edited:
OP
F

Finalchrono

Reaction score
I'm ready to throw the phone at the wall. I don't think there will be a way to fix it short of having to send it off to be fixed. I can't even get anything to show up when I connect it to my computer. No acknowledgment of it having an SD card or anything, it just gives it power and that's it. I can't believe just trying to boot into recovery mode would brick my phone, what a crappy way to brick. Oh wait, I won't even be able to send it in to be fixed either seeing as I rooted it, might as well flush the phone down the toilet >.<.

Last edited:
C

cdexsw

Dude hope is not lost. Your phone is not bricked. You can still power it up.

Bricked = no power or boot, just dead.

Which recovery did you flash?

Try this button combo to enter recovery

Pull your battery for a couple of minutes. Then re-insert it.

With the device still off......

Press and hold volume down + home + power

do not release any buttons until you're at recovery.

Sent from my Droid

OP
F

Finalchrono

Reaction score
Yea, i've tried that and it doesn't work. I even held it for 3 minutes in the off chance it's just taking forever. I flashed the default one that ROM manager requires you to use, I believe it's called ClockWorkMod Recovery.

suzanne2of3

Reaction score
Do u have any other way of booting the phone besides recovery

Sent from my ZTE-RACER using DroidForums App

BlueSami

Reaction score
Not true.
My phone boots to the m logo. But I can't get it to go past that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

suzanne2of3

Reaction score
If u can get to recovery flash a custom rom if avalible did by any chance any of u did a nanoid back up

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Will it boot into recovery?

Not true.
My phone boots to the m logo. But I can't get it to go past that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
F

Finalchrono

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, I didn't think the phone would freeze up from only trying to boot into recovery mode. I guess I should have installed a bootloader or something.

Edit: Sorry about being so frustrated, I just had enough money to actually buy a droid phone. I spent a pretty penny on buying this phone only to have it screwd up in a matter of hours after opening it. I won't be able to buy a new phone, so not sure what to do in this case.

Last edited:

suzanne2of3

Reaction score
Ill look into it and will let u know if find anything

maxnicks

Reaction score
You need to clear the cache... not sure how to do that on your phone. anybody else?

OP
F

Finalchrono

Reaction score
The only way to do that on my phone has already been tried. The hard reset method: Hold home + volume down + power isn't working as well.

suzanne2of3

Reaction score
U can ring lg and say it wont boot up just dont say u did anything to it they will reflash it for u

OP
F

Finalchrono

Reaction score
Well I went to verizon to see if they could re-install android and they had me talk to their tech guy, and he immediately knew that I rooted the phone and voided my warranty. Now i'm just pissed ....

suzanne2of3

Reaction score
What android version is it and do u have a fast boot facilaty sorry about spelling