New Moto Droid w/ Qs

ricks99

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm a new Motorola Droid owner (quite a step up from my old Samsung Alias)! I've been spending the past week getting my Droid customized

and have a quick question that I've been unable to find a definitive answer for...

Do I need some sort of security suite for my phone? If so, what do you recommend?

Tx

-R

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean like antivirus? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. There are no known android viruses.

DO be careful what software you install. Pay attention to the privileges that are asked for when downloading/installing from the market. If your notepad wants access to the internet, I'd be worried. Or do you trust the dev? Is there a good reason for it to access the internet?

Don't kill tasks either, by the way. Android has a built in task killer.

OP
R

ricks99

Reaction score
You mean like antivirus? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. There are no known android viruses.

OK, but then why are there so many apps in the market for antivirus/security/firewall/etc? They're all basically useless, eh?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

OK, but then why are there so many apps in the market for antivirus/security/firewall/etc? They're all basically useless, eh?

There are over 100,000 apps in the Market now. Many of them are useless. And you may notice that some of the anti virus are paid apps. People want to make a buck, and they do because a lot of people don't come into the Forum and ask questions first.

Anyway, antivirus is a resource hog. It will slow your Droid down. Stay away from them, it's not necessary.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What he said. Making money is king and a lot of apps play on that.