Montypup

Reaction score
Hi,

Glad to have found you all. I've arrived here by way of google after much frustration with my Motorola RAZRi. I've had many Motorola phones over the years and loved my last one (Defy). The cause of my frustration is my inability to get the navigation tool to function. After reading some of the posts I think the issue is with the Jelly Bean update I got shortly after buying the phone. I've tried all the fixes suggested and nothing works. I depend on my navigation tool as I'm hopeless at map reading and travel a lot. Help! Do I go the whole hog and get a factory reset or does anyone have a simpler solution? Last resort will be to go back to the Defy. I live in hope :happy3:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard!

Are you having problems with the navigation locking in? If so, you can try a "gps fix" app from the market - it may or may not work but could be a possibility before completing a FDR...good luck!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Major OS updates have been known to royally mess things up, in which case a factory reset would probably correct the problem. Tough way to go but whatever else might be keeping it from working could take forever to figure out.

Just make certain your data is copied somewhere else first.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Agreed with the above.

You may want to download and install the following apps, then run them and do backups of their respective data.

AppMonster Free Backup Restore from think Android (Free - the Pro version is $3.26)

This will back up all your apps on the phone to the SD Card. You should make sure you hit the Menu button, then select "Settings", it will talk about some settings not being available in the free version, simply hit "OK", then Select "Backup folder", click the "Up" button until you can't go any further, then scroll down to "sdcard-ext" and select, then hit "Save" and "Ok". Then click the Back button and Again hit the Menu button and choose "Backup". Once done, all your installed apps are stored on the external (removable) SD card.

SMS Backup & Restore from Ritesh Sahu (Free - the Pro version is $2.49)

This will back up all SMS (text messages) to the SD Card. You should make sure you hit the Menu button, then select "Preferences", then Select "Backup folder" and select "External Storage Card" and hit the "OK" button. For the initial backup, the following are not necessary, but for the eventual restored phone I'd suggest the following:

I would also then select "Backup Settings" and choose "Use Archive Mode" to keep from creating multiple redundant backups. You may also want to specify a particular name for the "Archive Filename" , further down choose "Add Readable Date". You may wish to configure the "Readable Date Format" to your liking. Further down choose "Add XSL Tag", then "Add Contact Names". You may wish to configure the "Filename Date Format" to your liking. If you have Google Drive or Dropbox accounts, you may want it to send the backups there as well. You'll need to configure the "Google Drive Settings" and "Dropbox Settings". I also chose to have my backups sent to my email, so if you do, select "Automatically Email Backup" and then configure the email account to send from and to by selecting "Email Settings". Then click the Back button and choose "Backup" Once done, all your SMS messages are stored on the external (removable) SD card (and the other locations as selected).

Call Logs Backup & Restore from Ritesh Sahu (Free - I don't know of a "Pro" version)

This will back up all your call logs (Incoming, Outgoing & Missed) to the SD Card. You should make sure you hit the Menu button, then select "Preferences", then Select "Backup folder" and select "External Storage Card" and hit the "OK" button. For the initial backup, the following are not necessary, but for the eventual restored phone I'd suggest the following:

I would also then select "Backup Settings" and choose "Use Archive Mode" to keep from creating multiple redundant backups. You may also want to specify a particular name for the "Archive Filename" , further down choose "Add Readable Date". You may wish to configure the "Readable Date Format" to your liking. Further down choose "Add XSL Tag", then "Add Contact Names". You may wish to configure the "Filename Date Format" to your liking. Then click the Back button and choose "Backup" Once done, all your Phone Call Logs are stored on the external (removable) SD card.

Now go ahead and do your FDR and once completed download the above apps and install, then configure as above and run the restore options.

These three apps may not be "the best" by everyone's standards, but I can tell you they've NEVER let me down...not even ONCE. That says something. They're fast, simple and powerful, as well as being small, very low on the system resources ladder and simply do what they're expected to do without too many bells and whistles.

If you find them valuable and you like them, please don't forget to reward the developers for all their hard work and register them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
M

Montypup

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome and the advice.

I did try the gps fix app and it proved that the phone was detecting lots of satellites but the navigation app still didn't recognise them. I think it's time to bite the bullet and go for a reset. Thanks FoxKat for the suggestions on how to backup the stuff already on the phone. It's amazing how quickly you collect that stuff. You'll have gathered that I'm from the UK and the model name is different but I'm certain my phone is the same as the RAZR Maxx you have in the US.

I will make sure I register the apps. I firmly believe in credit where it's due.

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope everything turned out ok after the reset. DancingNexus