monte2132

Reaction score
Hello. Actually, I've been monitoring these forums for a few days to try to find a cure to my battery problem. Seems I'm not alone. I have a Droid 4 and after the ICS update, there goes the battery. Was on the phone w/Verizon for quite some time 3 days ago, and they camped in Motorola. They suggested nothing new that I hadn't already done. Subsequently, Verizon sent me another device which I received today and was furious as it was a refurb. and looked like it had been run over by a Mack truck. I immediately phoned Verizon back and told them this was unacceptable. My phone is only 6 wks. old and the ICS update was 3 wks. ago. However, I"ve been told I will not receive a new phone (like I've paid for), but it will be a refurb. They are sending me another refurb. Not happy about this at all. I've been w/Verizon for quite some time and purchased 5 phones throughout the years. They are well aware of the battery issue, as is Motorola. Apparently, and I quote from Verizon ..."the biggest culprits are the Droid 4 and Razrs". Terrific. Wish I would have known that before I shelled out my $$. These forums have been helpful somewhat as I have tried the various remedies that have been suggested by other users. However, to no avail. This should have been rectified by Motorola before they released this update. :icon_ devil:

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :hail:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome to the DROID Forums. :)

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
Thank you. Everyone here is very nice and helpful.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
Thank you Justin. A fit frustrated with the battery issue on my Droid 4. ARGH!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thank you Justin. A fit frustrated with the battery issue on my Droid 4. ARGH!!!

You're on ics... ics was a battery killer for razrs... that may be the issue..

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Keep after them - the customer is always right :) and hopefully you will come out with a suitable device.

For the record, I have the Razr Maxx and have no issue with battery life...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Sorry your experience is less then favorable, hope you are able to get it working better :)

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
Hello Smalltowngirl. If you have had no battery issues, from the various posts I've read here and an other forums, you are certainly in the minority and consider yourself very lucky. Have a super weekend. :p

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums Monte! If I were you, I would try to see if you can get your original Razr working satisfactorily before settling on the refurbished device. You said you had tried many things and not being sure which you have tried, I will be suggesting things you have actually already done. If you were to have to revert to the refurb anyway and do these things with that, you might as well give it another shot on your original brand new phone first... before you totally give up on it.

1. Do at least two factory data resets, back to back. Yes, a pain and you will have to be starting from scratch but you would be starting from scratch on the refurb anyway, so might as well on the new one.
2. After the FDR's, manually install your apps one by one rather than let play store load them all at once. You will find that there are some apps you don't even want or use anymore anyway.
3. Put your phone on LTE /CDMA mode. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.
4. Go to smart actions and enable the battery extender function.
5. When setting up email or Facebook, only set your notifications to what you really need to be notified about and set to check for email every four hours or more unless there is an emails you really must get immediately. The notifications and checking constantly for new email or fb updates constantly will do allot to drain your battery fast.
6. There are other things that can be done that will improve your time on battery even more but this will be a good start.

If all goes well, then you can happily send the refurb back to Verizon. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to itemize a (hopeful) remedy for my problem. (I don't have a Razr, it's a Droid 4, but I'm would imagine your suggestions would apply to that device as well. If not, I would be most grateful if you would notify me if I am to do anything different with the 4.) :hail: I will do that today. As you stated, I would much rather keep my new phone, than some refurb. I'm sure you read in my initial post the first one I received was damaged considerably. It was so scratched up and chipped, I could not believe Verizon would allow that POS to be given to a customer. My second replacement refurb. is to be delivered tomorrow. Again, thank you for taking the time to give me your suggestions. I appreciate it. dancedroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are welcome Monte. The same steps will work for the Droid 4, so you will be good there. I agree about the refurbs. It is always a crap shoot. I have had to rely on them many times... most with luck but not always. Got a rooted one once. Thought that was interesting. I think sometimes the only thing they do is an FDR. I think what often works to our advantage is that many people return devices that are fine.

You have 5 days to return a device but they let you take longer if you let them know. After you do the above steps, give it a couple days to see how it is doing. If it still seems to have problems, which I think you may be pleasantly surprised, but if not, do the same to the refurb and send back the phone that does worse. Anyway, that is what I would do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
This is getting almost comical. I received my second refurb. yesterday as promised by Verizon. For grins, I took out my SIM card from MY phone and put it in the refurb. Nothing. Phone did not recognize the SIM card. I have a Verizon store about a mile from my home and took everything to them. They were unable to get it to work as well. Needless to say, my faith in Verizon has gone down yet another notch, if that's possible. So I'm two for two. I agree with you, this "overhaul" they claim they do on these refurbs is nothing but a factory reset...I think that's obvious by the "crap" I'm being sent from Verizon. I haven't had the opportunity to perform your suggestions; I will do that today as I have the time. But after this second refurb. there is no way I will relinquish my new phone; that's a promise!

Once again, thank you so much for everything. Have a super day! :icon_ banana:

OP
M

monte2132

Reaction score
Thank you and back at 'cha! You are a newbie too! This place is great. So many nice people willing to lend their expertise and suggestions.

Have a super day and thanks for writing! DancingNexus