2ns

Reaction score
Hi. Had my original motorola droid for a couple years now, will upgrade soon. I've lurked once in a while but rarely join forums to keep internet footprint low.

Had a weird problem last night that MIGHT be fixed so for the moment I'll just ask that since I no longer seem to able to set a song as a ringtone from "google
music" now that it is "play music", what is the best way to do that now.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome! Glad to see ya registered ;)..

I don't think you can set a ringtone from Google Music as that is music is not stored on your SD card or phone storage...you would only be able to set what is availabe in storage...if I am mis-thinking, I apologize upfront...

OP
2ns

2ns

Reaction score
Thanks.

The music is stored on my card. Maybe I'm remembering how I originally did it wrong?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You can use the app "ringdroid" to trim / create a ringtone from your music and then it will show up in the options ringtones - you can apply by contact or in phone settings, sounds...

devdeuce

Reaction score
You can use the app "ringdroid" to trim / create a ringtone from your music and then it will show up in the options ringtones - you can apply by contact or in phone settings, sounds...

best app ever, only way your ringtone won't suck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums 2ns!! :biggrin:

OP
2ns

2ns

Reaction score
Yes. That's what I did and it is working for now. It didn't work last night.

Had a weird problem last night where my ringtone (standard song) and notification sound (made with ringdroid) both disappeared. I had these in seperate folderswhich were then put in a media folder. Oddly, the songs in the alarms folders were still there and working. I seem to remember originally setting the ringtone straight from google music by long pressing and found out last night I no longer could. I set up the folders originally just so I could use songs for my alarm. I connected my droid to my computer and saw the songs were still in the folders, they just didn't show up on the phone ringtone or notification sounds menus. I added the song to the ringtone folder again and used ringdroid to make a new notification tone, also used ringdroid to make a new ringtone. They showed up in the menus but would not play, then they disappeared again.:angry: I tried this 2 or 3 times, also tried removing battery a few times. Tonight ringdroid worked, I just hope they hold this time.

After all this, I wondered why I couldn't set a ringtone by long pressing a song in google music anymore and if there was another way to do it straight from the phone since that doesn't work anymore.

OP
2ns

2ns

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope the situation stays fixed. DancingNexus

OP
2ns

2ns

Reaction score
I actually had to reset them again last night. Fortunately, they didn't disappear this time and I only had to re-select them. I think I just need a new phone. I was going to get a nexus but am waiting a couple of weeks to see whats coming. Hoping the S3 comes soon and to Verizon.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I think the S3 on VZW would make a lot of people happy. Not sure what the latest rumors are though.

OP
2ns

2ns

Reaction score
May give up in a week or so and go with nexus. Has the speaker improved any as far as loudness?