New Member wanting to Root.

hypageck

Reaction score
S0 1st off, I'm a noob to this sort of thing.
Force updated my Moto Droid to Froyo 2.2 build FRG01B
I had been arguing in my mind whether to root or not, and finally decided to.
Easy Root claims to be able to *root* my phone, but what after that?
I've read so many forums and threads and articles on different roms, sprecovery, backups, themes, etc. etc. etc., it's making my eyes hurt and I still don't fully understand it all.

1. What is the best way to root?
2.After rooting, how do I make a backup image?
3.What is sprecovery for?
4.What would be the best rom to use?

I'm wanting to be able to do simple things : wifi tethering, overclocking, get rid of all of the bloatware that came on the phone, just overall gain control of my phone
Any and all recommendations/answers will be greatly helpful.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
S0 1st off, I'm a noob to this sort of thing.
Force updated my Moto Droid to Froyo 2.2 build FRG01B
I had been arguing in my mind whether to root or not, and finally decided to.
Easy Root claims to be able to *root* my phone, but what after that?
I've read so many forums and threads and articles on different roms, sprecovery, backups, themes, etc. etc. etc., it's making my eyes hurt and I still don't fully understand it all.

1. What is the best way to root?
2.After rooting, how do I make a backup image?
3.What is sprecovery for?
4.What would be the best rom to use?

I'm wanting to be able to do simple things : wifi tethering, overclocking, get rid of all of the bloatware that came on the phone, just overall gain control of my phone
Any and all recommendations/answers will be greatly helpful.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums, glad to have you here.

Almost all the answers to your questions are in the stickies in the hacking section. It would take me too long to type out what it's all about. I can advise you that you should understand what rooting is before you do it, even if you are going to use easy rooter.

Best ROM, everybody has a favorite. You'll have to see what's right for you.

OP
H

hypageck

Reaction score
Thanks Hook,

I'll head over that way and start reading. Maybe I'll be able to make some sense out of it all

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
darn :)

well i would tell you forget what hook said but as usual hes hit it right on the head.

Hacking Help - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

as for the roms and overclocking. It seems all phones act differently for some reason a rom that works great on some phones doesnt on others. so you just gotta try different ones until you like what you have. dont let it scare you once your rooted and have custom recovery youll be doing this alot because someone is always coing out with something new.

overclocking also has this same problem i suggest you start at 800 than go to 900 extra if you have force closing after installing a new kernal just go down 1 speed. if you bootloop you can mount the phone in recovery so you can copy a new kernal to phone and install.

Kernals i suggest p3 kernals
P3Droid Kernels
everyone seems to like different kernals but these have run the best for me. try the lv ones first they seem to work for most people. if you have problems at 800 with lv than you probably want to go to normal voltage.

get set cpu to monitor temps and speed, and in some roms you need it to set the overclock. you can also set up profiles with it so you can lower speed as battery drops help make sure it makes it through our work day, because overclocking will run your battery down faster(and i mean faster) :)

as i said try all the roms and see what you like.

I suggest you try Ultimate droid , its not on these forums just search for it. It has all the options you are looking for and has benchmarked over 1000 points higher on quandrant than any other rom ive tried. also runs 5-7 degrees cooler than any other rom(remember this is on my phone)

good luck and have fun, just a warning once you do this youll be addicted :)