New Marketing Trend Emerging Among Teens; Surface & Galaxy 'Cool' & 'Apple is Done'

52brandon

Reaction score
It would be depressing if the reason for getting an android device is just because it's "cool" and not because of it's power or usability.
that is very much the main reason among teenagers. No surprise there. I remember paying more for a sony discman than a Panasonic that had much better features. Kids are all about "coolness"
The Iphone is still the #1 seller. It will soon be knocked off by the S3 (or the next variant), but still a hugely significant share for a single phone. And has always been said, Apple doesn't have much interest in pushing volume in the unprofitable mass market segment. They're content to charge a premium and sell less devices.

But this survey should set-off alarms at Apple. If first-time buyers (teens and pre-teens) are moving toward Android then this threatens the ecosystem model for Apple. It's only a matter of time before that group also shifts their media buying from ITunes to Google and Amazon.
yup. I've said it for the past few months. The S4 will set records. But deservedly so too. It wont just be for the cool factor. But that phone will legitimately revolutionize the mobile phone market. Much like the original iPhone did. I expect to see many firsts in that phone (unbreakable HD display, DDR3 RAM, 8-core monster-power sipper big-little CPU, PowerVR G6630 GPU that is 60x better than the GPUs on the market). I fully expect this phone to be the next great leap forward in the evolution of smartphones
In the medical field....apple rules all.... :( Its not fair!:frown:
as with graphics design as well. But nothing is forever. Their reign is coming to an end in all fields I feel. I knew when Jobs died, the company went with him. That guy was one-of-a-kind. Nobody can replace him, and only he could run apple the way he did

stillwaiting

Reaction score
one of my friends who is a teenager has been an iphone fan for the past 3-4 years and just picked up a gnote 2 when his upgrade came along. When I talked with him about it he listed off everything he loved about it and how much better it was than his old iphone(i think it was a 3gs), he also had the classic "all other phones feel mini now" symptom

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see this new commercial for the silent feature on iPhones with ring favorites only. Wow really cool feature.
I put Whoisit on my Incredible 1 back in late 2010 or early 2011 (don't exactly remember which month) that does the same thing AND gives me individual tones for individual contacts for text, mms, ringer, gmail and K9 mail.
Perhaps the walled garden of ios personalization coming down so slowly is a factor? Jelly Bean is giving the simplicity of use like ios but keeps the individuality capability of Android.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think it all comes down to the phones released. Quality of Android phones has definitely improved as much as the OS has. Put a cheaper price tag on that with a device that feels "premium" like an iPhone and it's hard to ignore. Not to mention the bigger screens, faster specs, etc. Android and the manufacturers have continued to improve their quality but Apple has since lost its way in innovation ever since Jobs passed away. Even the latest Apple devices feel old while the comparison between a GB and JB device on Android is truly night and day in all aspects.

52brandon

Reaction score
I think it all comes down to the phones released. Quality of Android phones has definitely improved as much as the OS has. Put a cheaper price tag on that with a device that feels "premium" like an iPhone and it's hard to ignore. Not to mention the bigger screens, faster specs, etc. Android and the manufacturers have continued to improve their quality but Apple has since lost its way in innovation ever since Jobs passed away. Even the latest Apple devices feel old while the comparison between a GB and JB device on Android is truly night and day in all aspects.
exactly. Jobs was that company. He was let go before and they tanked. HARD. Comes back and builds them into what they were a year ago. Passes and the re-tanking begins

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
exactly. Jobs was that company. He was let go before and they tanked. HARD. Comes back and builds them into what they were a year ago. Passes and the re-tanking begins
I'm just glad that Apple's struggles doesn't mean Android and their partners don't become stale. Each new generation of phone seems to be better and better, not just small upgrades like what the iPhone has become. Android is in the lead and Google's partners are really pushing to come out with the best product possible.

52brandon

Reaction score
I'm just glad that Apple's struggles doesn't mean Android and their partners don't become stale. Each new generation of phone seems to be better and better, not just small upgrades like what the iPhone has become. Android is in the lead and Google's partners are really pushing to come out with the best product possible.
agreed. And it's not just the OS, it's the hardware capabilities as well. Once the new hardware milestones hit (likely) next year, I expect to see many more software jumps with em. I think the biggest jump will be in gaming. Android mfrs could take a large portion of the market from all 3 of the big console mfrs. I also expect the smarthome market to grow substantially in the next few years, with television being the biggest impact (as the screen resolution improves, HD viewing will be made more accessible on the phones and controls through the phones will basically combine into one. Watching a TV program on a phone/tablet and switch it to your TV automatically as you enter a room, etc.) followed by lighting and security and on down the line. Basically, I expect to see Android take over as your home controller with entertainment systems first and on into your home's basic functionality. Where Android and smartphones as a whole go from there, I don't know, I would bet that those markets will be the next to really see an android expansion though

RL52

Reaction score
i wish that google will implement some home automation in their next version. think about how great it would be if you could remotely access your oven and when you come home, the dinner is done :)

jseah

Reaction score
i wish that google will implement some home automation in their next version. think about how great it would be if you could remotely access your oven and when you come home, the dinner is done :)

And how would Android remotely remove the roast from your fridge and remotely put it into the oven? I would love to see how Android does in peeling carrots or cutting potatoes. Not to mention all the money you would have to spend to replace all your appliances with one that have internet connectivity.

52brandon

Reaction score
And how would Android remotely remove the roast from your fridge and remotely put it into the oven? I would love to see how Android does in peeling carrots or cutting potatoes. Not to mention all the money you would have to spend to replace all your appliances with one that have internet connectivity.
well, the prep work I don't see happening anytime soon. But an oven that can refrigerate doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Then you can prepare the meal, get it ready to cook and throw it in the oven set to refrigerate, then either set the timer or turn on remotely. It seems very possible to me. Likely wouldn't be worth the ticket, but easily possible

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A few years ago there were a lot of home accessories in the works with Android code. Never saw many come to market, though. Most seem to have chosen to go with proprietary software that can link into your home wireless and be accessed over the internet.

There are some things I'd like to be able to control remotely such as air/heat, water heater and security, maybe some lights. But none of that would I pay to replace an otherwise perfectly good working unit. The one thing I am considering is one of those door locks you can control with your phone and also has a keypad (but what happens when the keypad batteries die?). Would just be nice when I go to the gym or go for a run not to have to take my keys with me.

52brandon

Reaction score
A few years ago there were a lot of home accessories in the works with Android code. Never saw many come to market, though. Most seem to have chosen to go with proprietary software that can link into your home wireless and be accessed over the internet.

There are some things I'd like to be able to control remotely such as air/heat, water heater and security, maybe some lights. But none of that would I pay to replace an otherwise perfectly good working unit.
agreed. But would love to phase in the remote-controlled ones as the other ones die off
The one thing I am considering is one of those door locks you can control with your phone and also has a keypad (but what happens when the keypad batteries die?). Would just be nice when I go to the gym or go for a run not to have to take my keys with me.
they have a key lock as well. Plus as the battery is dying, it alerts you for a while so you know that you need to change it

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
agreed. But would love to phase in the remote-controlled ones as the other ones die off

I agree, but I don't see it happening with Android. These guys will all want to lock you into their proprietary system so they can justify a small monthly fee. There is a fair amount of home automation stuff out there, but who wants to mess with a bunch of different systems?

andrew92

Reaction score
As someone who goes to a large university (30,000 students) in America, I can say that about 80% of the students and even teachers use iphones.