New Left-handed Guy

sunshineman68

Reaction score
I have just bought myself a Motorola Droid for a Father's Day gift. I am sort of disappointed the Verizon support lady told me the backup assistant I had with my other phone isn't compatible with the "android" system, or whatever. So she tried to help me out with doing this, but it would not work and I didn't have a second phone for her to call me on, so she gave me instructions, and it didn't work, so I am thinking there has to be others, but in searching the FAQ's I didn't see much. So before I call back to Verizon is there some info on this that you can give, thanks...............Mike

Phillipsave

Reaction score
My Backup Pro is a good backup app that you can download from the market.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
put your contacts into gmail - this is the best way to go with android now - calendar will also sync with it

it might take a while, but itll always be there, and if you lose your phone, you can instantly restore all contacts by signing into gmail

also, welcome to the forum :welcome: I am also a southpaw :)

rwdfan

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, you can stop into a Verizon store, and they will move the numbers over. Once they are there, they will get stored in your main gmail account. This will will allow instantaneous transfer on any new Droid phones you may get.

gavinsnana

Reaction score
If you export your contacts from your old phone to your gmail account you can then sign in to your account using the Droid and it will sync your contacts. I was able to do it and I was a compolete novice with the droid

OP
S

sunshineman68

Reaction score
How Fast

This is in reply to Gavinsnana, did your phone book transfer immediately? I notice some of my contacts have phone numbers, and some don't. I think they are my gmail contacts and not my phone contact list from my previous phone, as I only had some gmail contacts with phone #, and all my phone book had phone numbers, so I am still looking for an answer..............

gavinsnana

Reaction score
There is a setting on the phone to display only contacts with phone numbers or all contacts. But yes they did transfer over immediately. I didn't have a gmail account prior to getting the Droid so therefore all my contacts were just what was on my previous phone. Now I have my facebook contacts syncing also. Using gmail is much easier than the backup assistant. It just takes getting use to.

OP
S

sunshineman68

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had Gmail before, and I still have all the contacts from my gmail contacts, some had phone numbers, some not, but what I can't seem to get is my phone contacts from my Verizon Backup Assistant, or wherever in cyberspace those contacts are......................

gavinsnana

Reaction score
I had to go into Backup Assistant (before activating the droid) and export my contacts to a CSV file on the computer. Then I went into my Gmail account and imported said file. When I activated my droid and logged in with the gmail account there were my contacts. If your contacts are still in the Backup Assistant you should be able to do the same.

OP
S

sunshineman68

Reaction score
9 months later

Well, here it is 9 months later and I am getting a replacement Droid thru Verizon. I guess all my info is going to the phone memory instead of the card, so a replacement is coming my way next week.
I have one of those "invisblesheilds" by Zagg on my current phone, and wonder if it will be able to be put on my new phone once it arrives. Or is there a better protective sheild/case out there that someone can recommend.......................