New ICS Leak for Bionic

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
SamuriHL said:
Oh right. I apologize. I remember that issue now. Don't think I've seen one that simply toggles. I don't use the Gps toggle at all.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

It's cool. For whatever reason system info could this without root and what not. But like I said it doesn't seem to like ICS.

Other things I've noticed on ICS.

Reds are RED. Like I don't really know how they did it, but it has a lot more vibrancy now. Also SwiftKey 3 rocks on ICS. For whatever reason it's so much better on ICS than GB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It's cool. For whatever reason system info could this without root and what not. But like I said it doesn't seem to like ICS.

Other things I've noticed on ICS.

Reds are RED. Like I don't really know how they did it, but it has a lot more vibrancy now. Also SwiftKey 3 rocks on ICS. For whatever reason it's so much better on ICS than GB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

It's the font in ICS. Most of what we're seeing isn't shocking me too much because I've had ICS using TeamEOS ROM on my Xoom since January. However, I have to say Moto did a fantastic job with this build. Yes, SwiftKey 3 rocks no matter what you have it installed on. :D I'm truly psyched to have ICS on the bionic. I was a bit nervous as I'm leaving today for vacation, but, I think it's going to be fine. Plus I'll have my laptop with me if anything happens. (Like, say, another leak gets published this week :D). There's a few bumps in the road they need to fix up, but, overall Moto gets an A from me. I have now switched my Xoom and Bionic to Apex Pro and man I'm in heaven.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Ahh, I had every intention of holding out for the OTA, or at least a more official version, but after playing with my friend's new Nexus last night, I'm getting 4.0 fever big time.

Are there absolutely any disadvantages to installing this now? Other than pushing up the date of excitement? I must say, I do love the idea of just receiving it spontaneously OTA, but at this point, who knows when that will be. Now that we know it's possible to get back on the OTA update path, I'm running out of excuses.

If I do decide to go ahead with this, anything I need to know before flashing? I've done this plenty of times before on my Droid, and twice on my Bionic, just never such a huge jump to a whole new version. Will I lose data, for example? I know widgets disappear, etc, because of the change, but what about pictures, etc?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Some people have seemed to lose data when they did the update. Others, like myself, did not. So, I would recommend backing everything up...especially the internal SD card. You must be COMPLETELY stock 905 to install this. No safestrap. No CWR. No forever root. Root itself is fine, but, none of the system file can be modified in any way or it will fail the assertions. If you are rooted, use Voodoo Root Keeper to protect root and restore it after the update. If you have a lot of music and pictures, be patient after the update installs and starts doing the scripts when you first load it. Some people said it took 5+ hours to get through it all. For me it was about 5 minutes, but, I don't have much on there right now as I just got a refurb bionic replacement this week. When a new leak comes out, we will have to FXZ back to 902, take the 905 update again, and then install the new leak. I can't promise anything at all on this, but, it might be possible to do that without losing data. I for one will be trying it once the next leak comes out. If you run into problems, post exact details and people will help you. I might be able to but I'm leaving in a few hours and will be sporadic for the next week. Good luck!

welsalex

Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
Sure I've posted it a few times now on different forums. You should use root explorer to edit /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh and remove the chmod lines at the bottom. Leave the cursor on the beginning of the line after the last fi line... Basically hit enter at the fi line. Save it. Done.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks. So if there are no chmod line at the bottom of that file then I'm not forever rooted?

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Some people have seemed to lose data when they did the update. Others, like myself, did not. So, I would recommend backing everything up...especially the internal SD card. You must be COMPLETELY stock 905 to install this. No safestrap. No CWR. No forever root. Root itself is fine, but, none of the system file can be modified in any way or it will fail the assertions. If you are rooted, use Voodoo Root Keeper to protect root and restore it after the update. If you have a lot of music and pictures, be patient after the update installs and starts doing the scripts when you first load it. Some people said it took 5+ hours to get through it all. For me it was about 5 minutes, but, I don't have much on there right now as I just got a refurb bionic replacement this week. When a new leak comes out, we will have to FXZ back to 902, take the 905 update again, and then install the new leak. I can't promise anything at all on this, but, it might be possible to do that without losing data. I for one will be trying it once the next leak comes out. If you run into problems, post exact details and people will help you. I might be able to but I'm leaving in a few hours and will be sporadic for the next week. Good luck!

Thanks! No worries here as far as root issues go, I'm stock .905 from the OTA, never had any interest in rooting.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
That's a shame. :biggrin: Root can be quite handy! ;)

Haha, I suppose some day I'll probably give it a go. It's strange, because I've always been interested in that kind of "back door" stuff. I re-did my whole home's network using DD-WRT and Tomato, for example, but for whatever reason, I've never been interested in rooting my phone. Strange.

I do plan on keeping my Bionic longer than my usual phone life cycle in an attempt to preserve my unlimited data as long as possible, though, so I suppose once it's REALLY obsolete and running super slow, I'd probably take the plunge.

zuck

Reaction score
Underwater Mike said:
WELL FOOK ME SIDEWAYS! Lapdock actually appears to have a purpose with ICS!

I'm on Eclipse 3.0 but toying with the idea of flashing the leak just so the lapdock becomes more useful. Are you having any of the SystemUI crashing nonsense?

This was a good part of my motivation to flash ICS... And, of course I was hit w/the SystemUI crash... That being said other then slowly rendering email from time to time, I really don't have any complaints, it's like having a new phone in the same case...

wseyller

Reaction score
This was a good part of my motivation to flash ICS... And, of course I was hit w/the SystemUI crash... That being said other then slowly rendering email from time to time, I really don't have any complaints, it's like having a new phone in the same case...

What are you for email? I was to see if i would have issue. Mine functions smooth as silk. I use the stock email with ann imap account and also i use the gmail app.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

grgguy

Reaction score
Ok , dumb question. I have clockwork (Rom Manager) installed on my phone. I did install its recovery . Is there a way to uninstall its recovery without fyz'ing back to 902 . I'm lazy and really don't want to have to fyz back to 902 then update905 and then apply the new ics. It just seems like a lot of work and time.
Rooted , but stock with Voodoo rootkeeper.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's the font in ICS. Most of what we're seeing isn't shocking me too much because I've had ICS using TeamEOS ROM on my Xoom since January. However, I have to say Moto did a fantastic job with this build. Yes, SwiftKey 3 rocks no matter what you have it installed on. :D I'm truly psyched to have ICS on the bionic. I was a bit nervous as I'm leaving today for vacation, but, I think it's going to be fine. Plus I'll have my laptop with me if anything happens. (Like, say, another leak gets published this week :D). There's a few bumps in the road they need to fix up, but, overall Moto gets an A from me. I have now switched my Xoom and Bionic to Apex Pro and man I'm in heaven.

Oh yeah. Moto did an amazing job on this. Considering this is their like 2nd build of it. I just can't get past these colors. The reds and what not are just so vibrant on the display. Unfortunately, it does make some skin look sunburned.

OH, speaking of. What's the best way to change my constants pictures? I've always just did it from gmail on my desktop, but since ICS uses larger images now they look like crap. All blurry and just bad.