New Froyo review

Kandiru

Reaction score
Appreciated indeed, easy to understand from an Android naive user's standpoint, esp that Droid X will get Froyo.

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
2.2 os

Wow! Looks like Google is really paying attention. Apple is in their rear view mirror and fading fast!!! I love the way the Iphone LOOKS, but it is a paperweight!!! This OS allows Droid users to do so much more. And 3.0 is coming!!!! So glad I am getting my X on the 15th.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Wow! Looks like Google is really paying attention. Apple is in their rear view mirror and fading fast!!! I love the way the Iphone LOOKS, but it is a paperweight!!! This OS allows Droid users to do so much more. And 3.0 is coming!!!! So glad I am getting my X on the 15th.

you and me both brother..

soba1

Reaction score
Thanks, the X running on 2.2 oh man bring it.....

macatk89

Reaction score
Can't wait for 2.2 on the X!

Does the X fulfill the hardware requirements for 3.0?

DruidX

Reaction score
The write-up mentions the phone, after the 2.2 build and Froyo, can be used as a wireless hot spot. How does that actually work? The article mentions AT&T and/or T-Mobile..?

It's a Verizon phone with data package, so shouldn't the wifi connection be used to connect my laptop to the internet via that wifi connection.. with no other service being used?

OP
C

chikibabe

Reaction score
If you have wi-fi (say at starbucks), that's a different than using your actual phone as an access point. When you connect to wi-fi, you need an actual access point, which presumably, starbucks would provide through their wireless internet set-up (with a wi-fi router).

The option w/ verizon at this time would be paying $20 to make your phone be a wi-fi hotspot (or an access point or a router, essentially) that connects to their 3g/1x so that anything can utilize this access point to get to the internet. I think, with 2.2, it will be built in and you wouldn't be charged this $20 to make your phone an access point. I had a Windows Mobile phone and there was an application that enabled my phone to be an access point and i can connect my laptop/itouch to get to the internet even in a car.

Hope that helps...

The write-up mentions the phone, after the 2.2 build and Froyo, can be used as a wireless hot spot. How does that actually work? The article mentions AT&T and/or T-Mobile..?

It's a Verizon phone with data package, so shouldn't the wifi connection be used to connect my laptop to the internet via that wifi connection.. with no other service being used?

DruidX

Reaction score
Thank you for that great explanation, Chiki!

Kandiru

Reaction score
You know what folks?

I sense Google is fixin' to kick out a lot of people out of the cellular business. Look how they carefully planned years ahead, now suddenly the Android phones have seamless access to your entire life. Gmail, Voice, Google shopping, etc. all neatly integrated.

IMHO won't be long before they start selling their own Google branded phones, possibly with nationwide WiFi (N networks spreading like the plague) and roaming on other carriers, GSM and CDMA dual-band for a true global experience.