New FRG22 release of Froyo need PIN security for exchange email. How do I disable it

PARick

Reaction score
Would removing/uninstalling these two files resolve this:
/system/app/DroidEmailPolicy.apk
/system/app/DroidEmailPolicy.odex

I've considered modifying the OTA update.zip to have the associated files deleted and removing any entries of those files in the update scripts and seeing what happens. I'll probably end up doing it, seeing what happens, and rolling back if necessary. It might be a few days before I report back though; I prefer to flash things like this when I know my phone can down for an hour.

Thanks. I'd be interested in knowing the results.

badog

Reaction score
It's not an exchange issue really. It's the FRG22D. It doesn't understand when the exchange policy is set to not require a pin or password, it defaults to at least 4 characters no matter what the policy is set to, even if the policy is set to password/pin disabled.

Actually that is not true, I am an Exchange Admin and at home I have two policies one for require PIN and the other not to require PIN. I have about 10 phones connecting to my Exchange server, Blackberry, iPhone, Droid, and HTC's only one that has the require PIN is mine and the iPhones others don't require it and stayed the same after the update. As far as corporate they all require PIN at work no exceptions there.
I'm not gonna argue about it, but believe me, it is true. I have over 60,000 users on our exchange servers and I have PIN and password disabled. There are are always exceptions. :)

PARick

Reaction score
Ok, finally got this figured out!!!dancedroid I use Touchdown. The new security policies only pertain to the stock email account. So, go ito the stock email and delete the account, and that will eliminate the pin everytime the screen goes to sleep. But, if you want to keep your activesync, you need Touchdown. I am a happy guy!!!!:icon_ banana:

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
try this smali edit:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...onal-froyo-bypass-exchange-server-policy.html

worked for me back when froyo first came out and wouldnt sync with my exchange.. it makes the phone ignore the security requirements on the server. of course, at your own risk...

I am just now updating to frg22d OTA and will begin working around the policy requirements.. however I urge you to at least use pattern lock, it's for your own good. think of the data that is in your droid, now imagine it all being stolen.

badog

Reaction score
try this smali edit:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...onal-froyo-bypass-exchange-server-policy.html

worked for me back when froyo first came out and wouldnt sync with my exchange.. it makes the phone ignore the security requirements on the server. of course, at your own risk...

I am just now updating to frg22d OTA and will begin working around the policy requirements.. however I urge you to at least use pattern lock, it's for your own good. think of the data that is in your droid, now imagine it all being stolen.
I couldn't get that to install (probably because I don't have Clockwork recovery?) Anyway, I'm looking for a fix for our corporate users without rooting their phones. :)

I agree security is a huge deal, but this really needs to be fixed and personally I think the password/pin should only come up when entering the email program. And if it is such a big deal, why is this the only phone forcing this broken policy? hmmmm

I've tested out Touchdown, and while it is ok, I think the average user will be lost trying to use it. besides that, why should they have to pay for something that the phone already does.

The quest continues :)

PARick

Reaction score
try this smali edit:

I couldn't get that to install (probably because I don't have Clockwork recovery?) Anyway, I'm looking for a fix for our corporate users without rooting their phones. :)

I agree security is a huge deal, but this really needs to be fixed and personally I think the password/pin should only come up when entering the email program. And if it is such a big deal, why is this the only phone forcing this broken policy? hmmmm

I've tested out Touchdown, and while it is ok, I think the average user will be lost trying to use it. besides that, why should they have to pay for something that the phone already does.

The quest continues :)

That's exactly why I prefer Touchdown. It requires the PIN only when going into check my company email. I despise entering a PIN each time my screen goes to sleep. :)

TatDroid

Reaction score
I've been quite happy with the 2.2 update on my Droid, especially the improved Exchange syncing, UNTIL I GOT THE FRG22 update today.

Up until today I had a screen unlock pattern every time I woke up my phone. It was quick and easy and I didn't mind it at all. My phone was "locked", and I didn't have to worry about losing it and having my work email being accessed by a stranger. But now, after the FRG 22 update, "unlock pattern" is grayed out and is no longer an option. I can only chose PIN or Password. To wake up my phone I have to go through MULTIPLE steps of first "swiping" and then entering a PIN.

And WORSE, even though I have "push" selected (and it's always worked flawlessly in the past) I no longer get push notification of new email. I have to "refresh" every time to see new email. I HATE THIS! Do I really have to spend $20 to go out and buy a third party email app? I was perfectly happy before this FRG22 update...

I'm bone stock and have been very happy with the email functions of my Droid (I have "push" on 3 accounts: Yahoo, Exchange, and Gmail). What do I do now?

EDIT: I've now noticed that I'm not getting notifications of new Yahoo mail, either, so I went in to the settings to see what's up and I see "PUSH" is not even an option any more! WTF? I've had Yahoo set up as an IMAP account and have gotten "push" notifications on email since I got my Droid in Nov 2009 with Android 2.0. What's going on?

Last edited:

PARick

Reaction score
After extensively research it, Touchdown is the route I decided to go. I despised having to enter a pin(after swyping) theng going to Toucdown, entering a pin. I deleted the account under the stock email, and now do not need anything other than the swype. The pin to access Touchdown is still required, but I can live with that.

wtfe

Reaction score
try this smali edit:

I freaking love you man. Thanks - worked like a charm.

TatDroid

Reaction score
No more "push" email?

So I've seen multiple threads complaining about having to enter a pin or a password if you use an Exchange email account with FRG22, but I've only seen 1 other mention of the loss of "push" email. Is it only me?

With "push" selected I have to manually refresh my email. I sent myself multiple test emails to confirm this. I now have it set to automatically refresh every 5 minutes. It's a shame. "Push" worked so well before. When I was sitting at my desk at work I would sometimes hear the email alert on my phone before a new email had even showed up on my work computer! (I don't have that "problem" any more...)

And, as I mentioned in my post #22 above, "push" is not even an option any more with the Yahoo account I have set up as IMAP. It's grayed out now. "Push" also used to work flawlessly on that account.

I saw one other post that said they lost "push" when they set up their new PIN with only 4 digits (the minimum allowed). BUT, when they set up a password that includes 4 letters + 2 numbers + 1 symbol - "push" started working again? There is NO WAY I'm going to enter a password like that EVERY SINGLE TIME I wake the phone from sleep. That's like a hundred times a day. I REALLY liked the swipe pattern I used to use to wake up my phone before FRG22. It was pretty complex (no one was ever able to guess it to get into my phone), but took me about 2 seconds to enter.

For the first time since I got my phone in Nov 2009 I'm unhappy with my Droid.

badog

Reaction score
I fixed my exchange issues yesterday. I went back to stock FRG01B, installed flash from the download, and rooted it so music would stream and the update wouldn't show up anymore. Phone works great now. Like you, I was sick and tired of having to enter a password/pin every time I woke up the phone, and the market was so slow it was barely usable. Everything is fast and WORKS now. If Motorola/Verizon/Google/Santa Clause/Easter Bunny fixes the issues then I'll update, but until then FRG22D will not be on my phone ever again! :)

badog

Reaction score
Here's a fix for exchange 2010 I came up with today. Seems to work fine on the dozen phones I tried it on. All these phones are stock non-rooted FRG22D droid 1's.

Please note, this is only for organizations that have the password/pin policy already disabled and want to fix the D1 from requiring a password/pin. If your site forces a password/pin policy, then you're out of luck as that is the security policy. And of course, an exchange admin will need to make the changes. This is for D1 FRGG22D. I haven't had time to test D2 yet.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...continues-through-sept-4-a-13.html#post818173

stevechr

Reaction score
Hi,
I had this problem also on Droid X after upgrading to 2.2 today. For me the fix was to delete my 'Corporate Sync' account which reacivates the screen lock settings, set screen lock to None, shutdown the phone, pull/replace the battery, then re-add the Corporate Sync account.

After doing this I have not had to enter the PIN again, and the screen lock options are still enabled for changing.

Hope this helps.