New email notification sound plays on phone when opening unread mail on PC

Reaction score
So basically, here's what's happening...

A new email comes in, and my phone plays the notification. That parts fine, of course. However, at any point after that I open up Gmail on my PC (I use Firefox), my phone plays the notification again each time I open an unread email. Sometimes it plays when I simply go to my inbox, without even choosing an individual message yet.

At first it was nothing but a peculiarity. Now it's downright annoying. This is especially the case when I have several unread emails.

Let's say I'm busy doing something and my boss starts updating some Redmine tasks, which I get emails for. There might be 10 updates. For each one, my phone will play a sound. Then afterward, when I get to checking them on the PC, as I view each one (which I often do in quick succession as there generally isn't much to read), my phone plays the sound again... and again... and again...

First of all, I'd like to know how my phone knows that I'm reading email on my PC. I realize the gmail account is connected to the device, but still... how does it know?

Second, how do I get it to stop? I definitely want the notifications for when I RECEIVE the emails, because that's important, but I don't need to be notified every time I read one. It's incredibly annoying and I really, REALLY want it to stop.

Any ideas?

My Droid RAZR is rooted, android version 2.3.5