New Droid X user- so far disappointed :(

BigBuck

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my Droid X for about a week now. I was looking forward to the enhanced multimedia experience, big hi-res screen and additional features. I gave up a 2 year old iPhone 3G that has performed pretty well for me in addition to being smaller and more compact.

My issues (some of which I have seen posted):

1) Limited to no connectivity to WiFi. I can't even connect at home, nor can my wife who has the Droid Global. Please don't tell me to go reconfigure my router. If Motorola can't figure this out without me jumping through hoops, they are the ones that have issues, not me.

2) Apps not working properly and very slow. Part of this is contributed by my not being able to connect to WiFi, but I am still not happy with how slow browser is especially at my own house. I am at work and open FoxNews to read- it's stuck on Dec. 9th, the last time I viewed it. It will not refresh/ update.

3) Phone turned off and I had to pull battery twice this morning because it would not turn on. Now occassionally ther Droid red eye comes on like it is doing something to try and fix it but I don't know.

Maybe some of you have some answers for me. I am not an iPhone poser looking to run down the Verizon network and Droids. I was sick and tired of ATT and was willing to try out a new network and phone but so far I am completely disappointed in my experience.

I am planning on stopping at the Verizon store to day and finding out what is going on. I may make them give me a new phone to see if this corrects, but if it doesn't- I may be getting rid of it. The performance of this phone is unacceptable so far. has great features, but if they don't work right- what's the point ?

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
also...

Additionally, I forgot to mention- my bluetooth connection with my BMW is not very good. So much for hands free :(

joker402

Reaction score
Can you explain more of your wifi issue?

You might have a dud. This is a very good phone with out many problems.

Go to settings>about phone>system update and see if the update is up for you. If it is, install and try connecting to wifi again. Id recommend wiping(factory data reset) after the update.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Both my Droid X and my wife's Droid Global (also brand new) will not connect to our home network. Both of our phones see it, try to connect to it but then will not do so. Laptops, Xbox and old iPhone in the house have no problems with access.

My phone also is currently shutting itself down as we speak. I am at a loss for words here.....

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Please don't tell me to go reconfigure my router. If Motorola can't figure this out without me jumping through hoops"

Yes, of course every new device out there should just sync up with whatever you got ...

That's a lousy attitude for a network admin, and YES, you are a network admin if you have a router in your residence.

It is likely that you have a bad unit, see if you can have it swapped out at a corp store.,however if you are not reasonable to make assumptions that you may have to tailor your network to the device, well ...

and yeah, I'm having a baad day, and have signed up people who have ticked me off to a direct proportional amount of pron email sites. grr ....

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
"Please don't tell me to go reconfigure my router. If Motorola can't figure this out without me jumping through hoops"

Yes, of course every new device out there should just sync up with whatever you got ...

That's a lousy attitude for a network admin, and YES, you are a network admin if you have a router in your residence.

It is likely that you have a bad unit, see if you can have it swapped out at a corp store.,however if you are not reasonable to make assumptions that you may have to tailor your network to the device, well ...

and yeah, I'm having a baad day, and have signed up people who have ticked me off to a direct proportional amount of pron email sites. grr ....

If you are going to come on here and bust my b*lls- keep it to yourself. It's a phone, you act like it's your sister. I am simply looking for some quick fixes. If I have to bust my *ss to get a phone to work, I don't want it. Not all of us are a bunch of techies, nor do we want to be....

Beka27

Reaction score
Hmm, reading this thread I realized I never did set-up my DX to work with my router. So I just did that. Took me about 2 minutes from start to finish. Thanks for the tip!

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Is your network password protected there buck?

Yes, it is protected. I input the correct password but it won't connect. It does attempt but shuts then won't.

In response to DroidMaster- It looks like I need to update; my wife is current on her updates and she can't connect. Phone won't even download update. This thing is jakked up !

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Belkin routers do not like android. Don't know if you have a Belkin. If you are not willing to switch channels or even see why your router isn't playing nice with your android devices maybe you need to go back to an iPhone.
I too had a problem when I first got my Inc and it was a bad port on the router, don't know why it connected to EVERY other wifi device in the house but it was a bad router.
From the way you are describing your phone wont connect to anything wireless I agree take it back for exchange.
As far as your wife's not connecting to wifi, again it could be a simple channel change, could be anything.
IPhone is basically set up for those who don't or wont. Android is for the rest of us

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

Jordan8

Reaction score
Ive never had any of the issues you listed. Maybe you got a bad phone.

Edit: My router is netgear, not sure what you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

turdbogls

Reaction score
it really sounds like you have a dud.
1. i have connected to multiple wireless networks with my DX, with no problems at all.

2. this is something android does, it keeps your app in memory for quick opening, so it will open to the last page you opened up. hit menu, there should be a refresh button in there. not much you can do about this other than killing the application off every time you exit.

3. this is a phone issue. make sure you are on the latest firmware (settings, about phone, make sure you are on android version 2.2.1 or system version 2.3.340) as the latest version made changes to the kernel so it would not have the random reboot issues.

as for the BT issue....i have connected to 4 different Bluetooth devices (2 different headsets, and 2 cars (chevy OEM and sony aftermarket) with no issues...not sure what is going on here.

for those reasons i believe you have a dud, or (no offense) operator error.

this phone does anything and everything i throw at it...sure it takes a little getting used to coming from an iphone, but thats part of getting a new phone.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Ok, you guys have convinced me to work with the router, I'm not unreasonable. I DO want this phone to work out because it loks like a it has alot to offer. I am down loading the update now and want to see if it fixes the other issues with the phone itself I am experiencing. If it doesn't help, I will change it out on way home later and see if this corrects everything.

It's just very frustrating......

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

If you are going to come on here and bust my b*lls- keep it to yourself. It's a phone, you act like it's your sister. I am simply looking for some quick fixes. If I have to bust my *ss to get a phone to work, I don't want it. Not all of us are a bunch of techies, nor do we want to be....

hey buck buck, learning your own network router is not bustin your a$$, period.

And I don't come on here, I"VE BEEN HERE.

Take some responsibility for your own equipment and stop whining about it if it needs tweaking to work... No one here is going to magically conjure up a fix without information, and it sounds to me that having you go into your router will be too hard for you, so ....

Want a user experience without thought? go to Apple, you may have Steve's vision all you want.

Good going Beka27, perhaps you can share with bucky what you did to get yours going !

Also, for those interested, wi fi tether 2.0.5 went RC1 last night...

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Ive never had any of the issues you listed. Maybe you got a bad phone.

Edit: My router is netgear, not sure what you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Netgear as well....