New Droid X owner with questions

rkwfxd

Reaction score
What is rooting?

What is a custom ROM?

What advise would you give and what accessories and what apps would you recommend for a brand new first time owner of a smart phone with a new Droid X?

I know the Droid X is old technology now and it is only 3G but I wont be surfing the net much over the air, mostly via wi-fi. I was all set to but the Thunderbolt but when I played with the two phones side by side I like the X better. Then, when I was able to get the X for free through Sam's club by renewing my contract, the deal was made.

Anyway, I am looking for your input and suggestions. Thanks

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
Im not to up to speed myself on rooting but it's tons of post on it just look it up and you will find tons of info even if you look it up on google after you find the info your looking for its tons of helpful people that will help you out if you run into problems or still having problems understanding

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Canadroid

Reaction score
What is rooting?

What is a custom ROM?

Welcome to the forums!

I always think of rooting as being similar to having 'Administrator' access or privileges to a PC in the windows world. Typically you can't run a custom ROM theme or loader without root access to your Droid established first.

Start here

This section of the forums you've posted in right here has some good FAQ's stickied up top I would go through as well. You may find yourself happy with the degree to which you can customize your Droid w/out rooting and ROMing, some want to take it to the next level, it's really up to your personal taste and needs.

Unlike another popular family of device, this isn't something done simply to allow 'non-kosher' apps to be installed, there's far more to it and in many cases some risk to your hardware, so don't go grab a Rooting app off the market until you know what you're up to.

:pint:

OP
R

rkwfxd

Reaction score
Very cool. Thank you for the links. Sounds like rooting my not be in my future but I still want to read up on it.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
its not hard process its just the understanding of the capabilities of what ur phone can can't do. def get used to it first. u never know u might wanna later. the forum is here ready to assist of need be

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

salem667

Reaction score
Yea, rooting Can be fun.... Im running rubix 2.0.1 overclocked at 1.3.... To me... Rooting is like I can do what I want, bc its my phone!!!!!!

Droid X