New Droid X and I Need Some Help

AlexRogers

Reaction score
I just bought the Droid X and so far I am loving it. I have been a loyal Blackberry user for quite some time, but I have decided to make the switch to the Droid. I am extremely happy with my decision, but I do have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to hide or rearrange icons on the App Launcher screen or do they have to remain completely visible in ABC order? I would like to create some folders to move some apps into (e.g. all my soundboards) and also hide some of the apps that I will never use.

2. I synced up my facebook account, but I dont want all of my facebook friends to be in my contact list. How can I do this?

3. Is it possible to edit the names of the apps? Some have huge names and I would like to minimize the length. Hiding the names completely would be fine too.

4. I am looking for this app that allows you to see what someone is recording on their droid camcorder. Any help?

Any help would be appreciated and I am sure I will be asking more soon.

superglen99

Reaction score
I just bought the Droid X and so far I am loving it. I have been a loyal Blackberry user for quite some time, but I have decided to make the switch to the Droid. I am extremely happy with my decision, but I do have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to hide or rearrange icons on the App Launcher screen or do they have to remain completely visible in ABC order? I would like to create some folders to move some apps into (e.g. all my soundboards) and also hide some of the apps that I will never use.

A: you cannot rearrange them. you can however create a folder by long pressing on the home screen and selecting folder, then you can drag and drop whatever you want into them. Note this does not remove them from the app drawes but creates a shortcut to the app in you folder you created.

2. I synced up my facebook account, but I dont want all of my facebook friends to be in my contact list. How can I do this?

A: go into settings>accounts and sync< add account and choose facebook. Once you sign in select only sync with contacts on your phone, that way you dont get everyone on facebook, just those on your phone.

3. Is it possible to edit the names of the apps? Some have huge names and I would like to minimize the length. Hiding the names completely would be fine too.
A: Not that I know of at the moment no. Someone correct me if I am wrong

4. I am looking for this app that allows you to see what someone is recording on their droid camcorder. Any help?
A: Dont know but do a market search with camcorder or similar words and see what pops up. hope this helps!

+10 characters

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
for the live video, try qik

and everything else looked correct for the most part

eliassami5

Reaction score
no you cant change the applications names, however if you download Launcher Pro Beta it allows you to hide application names. But note this launcher is a replacement home application, meaning that when you press the home button to go to your home screens it will look completely different. Launcher Pro is based off of the stock android home so you might like it or you might not. But its the #1 most used launcher by Droid owners on this forums, extremely fast, no lag whatsoever, and lots of customization to the look and functionality of it.

cole924

Reaction score

A: you cannot rearrange them. you can however create a folder by long pressing on the home screen and selecting folder, then you can drag and drop whatever you want into them. Note this does not remove them from the app drawes but creates a shortcut to the app in you folder you created.

A: go into settings>accounts and sync< add account and choose facebook. Once you sign in select only sync with contacts on your phone, that way you dont get everyone on facebook, just those on your phone.

A: Dont know but do a market search with camcorder or similar words and see what pops up. hope this helps!

+10 characters

That facebook contact method did not work for me. It won't give me a sync option. It just says to add another account and lets me log-in to facebook. Once inside facebook, I can't get an option for Sync either. It's coming from the social network app I think.

One two small questions -

1) Is there any way to check the battery life left? On my HTC phones, I could just click the battery and it'd come up w/ how much life it had left by %. Does the X have this feature or do you really only look at the battery and guess?

2) Is there a way to change sounds for each notification? My email and text messages are coming up the same sound notification and I can't find a more advanced setting to go in and adjust it accordingly by each different notification. It's like an all-or-nothing deal.

Last edited:

DRMMR02

Reaction score
Welcome to the wide world of Applications. There are apps for both getting the battery by % as well as having different sounds for different events. I don't have any specific ones to tell you as I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I would advise you spend some time in the app market searching for all the things you want to change. There's a ton of apps out there. Handcent SMS for instance is an awesome replacement for the stock texting app, and it does allow different sounds even notification bar icons for each contact or for texts in general. There's probably 10 different widgets that will show your battery % on the screen. Explore the app market.

cole924

Reaction score
Welcome to the wide world of Applications. There are apps for both getting the battery by % as well as having different sounds for different events. I don't have any specific ones to tell you as I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I would advise you spend some time in the app market searching for all the things you want to change. There's a ton of apps out there. Handcent SMS for instance is an awesome replacement for the stock texting app, and it does allow different sounds even notification bar icons for each contact or for texts in general. There's probably 10 different widgets that will show your battery % on the screen. Explore the app market.

Thank you for the quick reply. I've been browsing this forum for a long time now and always respected the users and their knowledge for the brand new world that is cell phones. This site is incredible and once again.. thank you!

If anyone knows about not syncing w/ facebook contacts, let me know. I couldn't get that way to work on my X.

mungofromtheshire

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks super glenn - I too sync'd my facebook account and it merged all of my facebook contacts into my contact list.. I deleted the facebook account and that cleared it up. love my X

paulybean

Reaction score
Separating Contacts

+10 characters

That facebook contact method did not work for me. It won't give me a sync option. It just says to add another account and lets me log-in to facebook. Once inside facebook, I can't get an option for Sync either. It's coming from the social network app I think.

One two small questions -

1) Is there any way to check the battery life left? On my HTC phones, I could just click the battery and it'd come up w/ how much life it had left by %. Does the X have this feature or do you really only look at the battery and guess?

2) Is there a way to change sounds for each notification? My email and text messages are coming up the same sound notification and I can't find a more advanced setting to go in and adjust it accordingly by each different notification. It's like an all-or-nothing deal.

Here's a real easy method:

1) Go into your Contacts
2) Hit the Menu button
3) Select "Display Group"
4) Select "Phone Contacts"

The default, I believe, is to view "All Contacts". Setting "Phone Contacts" limits the contacts to what you actually add into your phone book.