New Droid User

Kwitt2009

Reaction score
I just got my phone a few hours ago. I had a Blackberry Pearl, but I do not consider it in any way a smart phone. Nothing worked on it. Now I have a Droid and am very excited about learning how to use it. I downloaded a few apps but have no idea of how to access them or how to add new screens or probably a ton of other things. I am hoping that those who have gone before will be able to guide me along the way!

Reaction score
Welcome!

We (the folks at SoftwareForMe.com) are dev's, and not nearly so savvy about customization as we are about the guts of Android. But, there are experts around ever corner here, noob's just like you, and everything in between.

Enjoy your stay!

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC & Imaging Multitouch

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. I'm no expert, but I do have a week or 2 head start on ya. I'll start you with this---when you download an app from the marketplace, it install automatically. To find it, tap/swipe upwards on the little tab at the bottom of the screen (when holding vertically). All of your icons are in there. Find the icon for the app you just installed, and then press & hold it (called a "long press")... after a second, you'll get a little vibro-feedback, and the icon tray will disappear, and you can drag the icon to where you want it on any of the 3 home screens. Same goes for rearranging what's already on the home screen- long press, vibrate, drag & drop.

As for adding more screens, there are home page mod apps that add additional screens, like Home++ or Open Home, among others. You may want to read up on them in the Applications forum on the site.

Enjoy!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Home Replacements... more screens, customization

Home++
OpenHome
PandaHome
GDE

They've all got their pro's and con's. Hit up the search button and do some research :). Give ya a better idea of what you can do and what fits your needs. Enjoy the forums!

jltung

Reaction score
Downloading apps

If you can not find your new app after dragging the app screen up with gray tab at the bottom of the home screen.

Consider it might be a 'widget' which requires a long press on a home screen and then press 'widget' and see if it is there.

A lot of people can not find GDE. I found it on Market, app, all app, top paid and then scroll down. I have not paid for it yet. Is it worth it ?

OP
K

Kwitt2009

Reaction score
Well, there I was, so excited about getting my new Droid and I've already had to replace it. The phone just didn't work. I could hear the other party but they couldn't hear me, I couldn't disconnect from phone calls, but most frustrating was getting calls, hearing the ring and being unable to turn the phone back on from sleep mode. I tried using the camera but it kept telling me to install a SMS card. Verizon Wireless was good about replacing the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there I was, so excited about getting my new Droid and I've already had to replace it. The phone just didn't work. I could hear the other party but they couldn't hear me, I couldn't disconnect from phone calls, but most frustrating was getting calls, hearing the ring and being unable to turn the phone back on from sleep mode. I tried using the camera but it kept telling me to install a SMS card. Verizon Wireless was good about replacing the phone.

Wish you better luck with this one! It's a great device!