New droid user specific questions.

suliman

Reaction score
hey Ive recently started using an android phone and am very interested in rooting my phone. I have in the past hacked my psp and i like to modify my personal electronic devices.. According to the model number in my droid settings it says the phone is a "Droid". However, after looking at several screenshots online of both the motorola droid and motorola droid milestone, i cannot seem to tell which phone i have. From what i hear the milestone is not rootable. i have several questions i hope someone would please help me with.

1. How can i tell the difference between a droid milestone and motorola droid? Physical differences? firmware differences? etc.

2. If my phone is a milestone can it be rooted? if so, would someone please link me a guide to root it. I have been searching for a while now and have found various rooting guides but all of them have somewhat varying steps and i dont want to brick my phone so i rather do it the correct safe way.

3. I also heard a rumor that the motorola droid is almost unbrickable. is this true or what is the story behind this?

4. what are the significant downsides to rooting if any? as it pertains to service and contracts as well as warranty?

5. once rooted, which rom is the best to use for froyo?

thanks in advanced. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong place.

OP
S

suliman

Reaction score
okay i think ive found what ive been looking for after comparing these two models of both phones.

DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Overview - Motorola, Inc. USA
Milestone Android - Phone Without Compromise - Overview - Motorola Western Europe

from what i can tell the moto droid has the verizon logo on it while the milestone does not. this is the only physical difference i can find. My phone has the verizon logo on the front just like a moto droid, so should i assume it is therefore a moto droid? confirm?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
if you live in the states and you got it from a dealer then 99% it's a Droid.

OP
S

suliman

Reaction score
Milestone is GSM and would have a sim slot

well i feel retarded now lol. thanks for the help. Guess im going to use sticky guide on the droid forum here. or is there a better method? essentially whats the best safest method of rooting?