New droid owner who is technically challenged - tons of ??

kat13dawg

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to this forum and a new droid owner. I just switched from a regular cell phone (Yes, not a PDA, not a BB or a smartphone) to Droid Moto 2 days ago. So far I'm loving it, it's a huge upgrade from my old phone, however, i need help with the followings as I'm technically challenged to begin with:

1. Can I download apps from android market using my PC? If so, how? My friend has iphone and she can use her PC, log on to itunes and download/manage her apps that way.
2. How do I download songs to droid? I use itunes for my music ( most of my songs, I downloaded from itunes anyway).
3. What's a good application (Free) to lock my phone using numeric lock code? Can I lock certain applications on my phone, i.e. photo gallery?
4. I read (on this board) that many people use Handcent for text messaging. I downloaded it and it works great. However, I also get the same text message in my regular text messaging, does it mean that I'm still paying to send/receive?

Thanks for all your help, many more questions to come....

searayman

Reaction score
1. You can download apps from the pc but there is not client for say like itunes for downloading apps. And its a bit more complicated installing apps this way. I would suggest staying with the market on your droid.

2. As for number 2 if you downloaded drm songs you may have a problem. For more help on managing music on your droid click the link in my signature.

3. havent found oen myself yet

4. I do not use handcent i am a google voice users

Silver Member
Reaction score
handcent doesn't change how your messages come to you, it's jsut a different way of managing those messages. your messages are controlled by your cell plan. if you're paying per text message, you will continue to pay per text message.

also, check my sig for help with other items and welcome to the forums.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
They answered you as far as paying for txt's, however I believe that you need to disable, or make handcent the default handler for msg's, that way you will not see it in the default messaging app as well, was that more of what you were referring to?

pcandroid

Reaction score
In order to stop getting 2 notifications on your msg's you need to go into your stocl msg app and turn off notifications in the settings.

pcandroid

Reaction score
No number lock but it does have a lock if you want to use it.

menu>settings>location & security>set unlock pattern

Try that you may like it.

pcandroid

Reaction score
Download doubletwist to manage you itunes music, assuming you have drm free itunes music, if not you can always upgrade.

OP
K

kat13dawg

Reaction score
To verify my question regarding txt msging using handcents - Currently, I'm paying extra for unlimited texting. Can I just cancel my unlimited texting plan and use handcents for free messaging?

qwopzxnm

Reaction score
To verify my question regarding txt msging using handcents - Currently, I'm paying extra for unlimited texting. Can I just cancel my unlimited texting plan and use handcents for free messaging?

No, think of Handcent as just another program that reads text messages on your phone. Like if you used Internet Explorer to get on the internet but then switched to Firefox, they look much different but they're both still reading and displaying the same internet pages.

Also, if you are worried about costs, or would like free SMS, look at getting google voice. That uses the data portion of your plan, not the text plan, to send and receive SMS messages. It's a free work around, and one of the reasons that Apple doesn't allow a Google voice app.

Here's a link.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/11807-google-voice.html

Edmvr6

Reaction score
enjoy the phone man... once u go droid u will never go back....hahhaahhahh

korp

Reaction score
1. Marketplace on your phone is how you have to manage the apps can't do it on the computer. :-\

2. A program called doubletwist lets you sync your playlists and music from iTunes.

3. There is a built in pattern lock if you want to try that out in the security settings but I don't really use any of that.

4. Handcent is just an app that manages your text messages ... like an alternative messaging app .... so use they are still being sent/received in your data package like normal. I've heard that you can use google voice to text but not sure on that since I don't have it.

OP
K

kat13dawg

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! I love the phone, it takes time for me getting used to. In the past, I used my phone to make calls and send msgs...that was it.

One More question (for now) - I see that on this site that there's "droid wallpapers". How do I get that on my phone as wallpaper?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Thank you all for your help! I love the phone, it takes time for me getting used to. In the past, I used my phone to make calls and send msgs...that was it.

One More question (for now) - I see that in this forum that there's "droid wallpapers" thread. How do I get that on my phone as wallpaper?

You can go to the gallery and long press on it to save it or save it to your PC, then mount your sdcard and copy them over.

OP
K

kat13dawg

Reaction score
oh thanks. i dont have a SD card..guess can't do.