New Droid Incredible

wayshwing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to Droid phones. Have used Motorola Qs for years, but have used smartphones and PDAs since the 90s..

I'm trying right now to figure out how to remove apps from my phone. Am also having issues with apps starting and running on their own..?:icon_evil:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

As for removing apps, are you attempting to remove the apps that came pre installed on the phone? That would require root.

And as for apps starting on their own android os will start things based on when it thinks it/you will need it. This of course applies to things running in the background.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
W

wayshwing

Reaction score
I notice that when using ATK to kill apps, some keep popping up, specifically "voice search", "Amazon MP3", "clock", "skype mobile" and "my verizon mobile". I kill these and they keep opening back up.

Are these normal. I dont need any of them... I hate to be using batt life of MBs just for these...

I have an Incredible and my friend has a fascinate, and we're both wondring how to actually remove apps we dont want.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First off you need to get rid of that task killer, its doing you more harm than good. As for the other apps yes it is normal for them to keep coming back but if you ever root your phone you can get rid of them easy peasy.

OP
W

wayshwing

Reaction score
Great! I will get rid of ATK.. any other task stopper you recommend?

Where do I go to learn how to root my Incredible?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Task killers all together are bad for android. The os has its own built in task manager, so adding a task killer on top of that and telling it what to do becomes problematic. You can check out the inc sub forums to find out more about rooting.

chargedup04

Reaction score
Why is a task killer so harmful? When I got my dx a verizon represent referred me to get one.he even showed me how too

Sent from my DROIDX

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Why is a task killer so harmful? When I got my dx a verizon represent referred me to get one.he even showed me how too

Sent from my DROIDX

Task Killers fight the operating system and wastes system resources by constantly fighting with it. The Google developers themselves say do not use task killers. They will hurt your battery life and prevent your phone from running right.

No idea why Verizon reps continue to push it, but I'm not sure I've personally seen a case when someone removes the task killers that they rush back to install it again.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
A task killer in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you do need to close apps that are poorly coded, or are just plain running in the background and you don't need it to (yes not all apps lie dormant in the memory, some actually use battery life and services). Its when you have it set to automatically close apps that it starts to drain your battery life and tax your CPU by clearing and reloading apps into your RAM.

Besides, I sympathize with users who just dislike certain apps autoloading into the RAM.

An app called "Startup Auditor" helps you choose what you want loaded onto your OS at startup, as well as what you want to allow Android to auto-start as your phone is running. Be careful to only tweak applications you actually know about.

Other good apps are Minfree or Autokiller - but those require root and aren't really task killers. They are Android Memory Management settings tweakers, that allow you to tweak Android itself (as to how much free RAM to keep, while still allowing Android to pre-load certain apps into your RAM).

I'm assuming you're asking because your phone seems to be running a little sluggish at times?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I was wondering the same thing...

Great! I will get rid of ATK.. any other task stopper you recommend?

Where do I go to learn how to root my Incredible?

Start here: Droid Incredible Hacks - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum you need to read up on what is involved in rooting a Dinc. I got a lot of information from other forums too, but I'm not sure how the mods and the administrators feel about members posting links to other forums in the threads. Do *not* forget to include UnRevoked 3.0 in the rooting equation. That is the game changer when it comes to rooting your Dinc.

-Mike