New Car home not installing correctly?

turdbogls

Reaction score
Ok i have a feeling it is UD8 and not my phone simply because i had no problem installing it with project elite.

OK so i go to install car home from the market, it downloads fine, but install fails...so i read some stuff, open up titanium, and delete the car home app (there were actually 2 that i had to delete...is this normal?) Rebooted,went to the market and Downloaded and installed the car home app without a problem. but now it is not showing up in the app drawer, and i cannot open it up from the market. titanium is showing that it is installed. so i made a backup of it, and restored the backup and still nothing. rebooted and deleted/re-installed a couple of times with no luck

running UD8, 1.25 ULV chevy kernel, black n bold, Launcher Pro (and no it is not hidden from the app drawer in LP settings)

any help?

js0724

Reaction score
The second file you deleted (carhomelauncher.apk I believe) is needed to open app without actually placing in car dock. Try reinstalling that one or not deleting it in the first place.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
Ok i have a feeling it is UD8 and not my phone simply because i had no problem installing it with project elite.

OK so i go to install car home from the market, it downloads fine, but install fails...so i read some stuff, open up titanium, and delete the car home app (there were actually 2 that i had to delete...is this normal?) Rebooted,went to the market and Downloaded and installed the car home app without a problem. but now it is not showing up in the app drawer, and i cannot open it up from the market. titanium is showing that it is installed. so i made a backup of it, and restored the backup and still nothing. rebooted and deleted/re-installed a couple of times with no luck

running UD8, 1.25 ULV chevy kernel, black n bold, Launcher Pro (and no it is not hidden from the app drawer in LP settings)

any help?

As JS mentioned, one of the apps you deleted with Titanium was the launcher for Car Home, which not only gives you the launcher short cut in the app drawer, but also some how allows for the brightness control to work int Car Home. I made the same mistake you did.

If the brightness adjustment in the new Car Home is not a big deal for you, you can simple create a swipe gesture in LauncherPro. Car Home will be listed in the apps for that and will launch fine (that is what I did for a while).

If you want to full featured Car Home in the app drawer, you may need to restore both car home apps from Titanium (I cannot remember if that worked for me). If that does not work, reflash UD8 (you do not need to wipe). When you want to install the new Car Home, go into Titanium and only uninstall the Car Home that has the option to detach from the Market (you can find this by long pressing on the app). Leave the other, go into the market and download the new Car Home.

It took me a day to figure all that out, so hopefully this will save you some time.

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
awesome, you guys helped me out. answered all my questions. now it is time to flash UD8 again and get the carhome working.

thanks guys.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
I did the same thing this guy did (at least I think cuz it wont install at all now) is there any way I can get it back without reflashing my rom? I made a backup with titanium but that was of the new updated car app so that wouldn't help I don't think

mooreman

Reaction score
I had pretty much the same issues, tho all I did was use a registry editor and renamed both of the car apps' extensions to .bak from .apk and then it installed, but then there appeared to be no way to launch it. I downloaded AnyCut from the market and was able to create a desktop shortcut to launch it. Sortof a weird way to get it done, but it's working now.
On a separate note, is anybody else's market periodically acting flaky? In most cases I can download updates but then it hangs on the install and never installs, even if left overnight. next day, cancel the install and try again, then it works (sometimes). It's only been an issue for the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if it's my phone or just the market. Any thoughts?

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
I had pretty much the same issues, tho all I did was use a registry editor and renamed both of the car apps' extensions to .bak from .apk and then it installed, but then there appeared to be no way to launch it. I downloaded AnyCut from the market and was able to create a desktop shortcut to launch it. Sortof a weird way to get it done, but it's working now.
On a separate note, is anybody else's market periodically acting flaky? In most cases I can download updates but then it hangs on the install and never installs, even if left overnight. next day, cancel the install and try again, then it works (sometimes). It's only been an issue for the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if it's my phone or just the market. Any thoughts?

What do u think I should do since I deleted the original car home apk so I can't really change it to .bak. and ya my market is a little funky but it's only when I do the auto update on multiple apps. But when manually update them one by one they're fine

mooreman

Reaction score

What do u think I should do since I deleted the original car home apk so I can't really change it to .bak. and ya my market is a little funky but it's only when I do the auto update on multiple apps. But when manually update them one by one they're fine

Well, there's a couple of things you can do. The "easiest" would be to reinstall then rom which has all that original stuff packaged and then you start from square one. The other thing would be to have someone email you theirs from the same model phone, I don't see why that wouldn't be an option but have never tried it so can't vouch 100%. That's why I say that the better option is to just start over with the rom and you'll have those files back.

mooreman

Reaction score
dodgersrgood;896463 Well said:
ya i thought of that last night so i went on my friends phone and sent the carhome.apk and carhomelauncher.apk but now what do i do with those?

You mean with the files now that they're on your phone? (both files belong in the root/system/app directory. Use a registry editor (I use Root Explorer) that will allow you to rename extensions and do like I outlined in my first response (be sure to reboot the phone immediately after renaming them and BEFORE trying to update to the new app). After everything installs, you should be able to delete or just leave them (also with the registry editor). The idea behind renaming them is so that they either won't be overwritten and thus deleted in case you need them later, OR they are preventing the new install from taking place by having the .apk extension and renaming them "gets them out of the way" to allow the update. I deleted mine afterwards and then used AnyCut (free) from the market to create an executable as it still will not appear in the app drawer. Not sure if that's by design or just a bug. At any rate, that's the work-around.