Help with new google car home

pyro6128

Reaction score
So I removed my old car home app that was on my D1 because I couldnt install the new google car home. It installed successfully, but it doesnt not show up in the the app drawer. I want to check it out and customize it, but its nowhere to be found.

Running UD 8 btw

harrellj

Reaction score
Unfortunately, its only accessible if you have the car dock.

segdoh49

Reaction score
So I removed my old car home app that was on my D1 because I couldnt install the new google car home. It installed successfully, but it doesnt not show up in the the app drawer. I want to check it out and customize it, but its nowhere to be found.

Running UD 8 btw

Try Car Dock v2...it's much better than the regular car dock.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Hey, while stumbling around trying to do something else I found a way to access Car Home without the dock.

When adding a shortcut, instead of choosing Applications choose Activities. It takes a long time for the list of activities to show up, but CarDock is on the list. Expand the the selection and choose the first item. It is called CardockMainActivity. You get a chance to change it's name, do or don't, then select ok. You get an icon on your home screen that goes to the Car Home screen.

I haven't played with it much, but it seems fully functional.

OP
pyro6128

pyro6128

Reaction score
I try to install mine and it keeps saying unsuccessful after downloading?

You most likely need to remove your old car home app. Are you running a rom? I'm using UD 8, I used titanium backup to remove the old car dock app, then rebooted, then I was able to install. If you have root explorer or astro you can delete the old car app, but titanium is a bit better since it uninstalls everything associated with the app, and not just the apk.

And yea, the shortcut method seems to be the only way to access the app without an actual car dock. This is a pretty ridiculous choice on googles part. I use a universal vent mount without a magnet to trigger dock mode, so the fact that I have to go out of my way (not much i know haha) to use the app is a little crazy. Oh well, I'm sure theyll fix that