Need some explanation

sajidali27

Reaction score
Can somebody give me a simple explanation of how a vpn works?

I know enough from here to use it on my works public wifi. How do the bad guys see me to steal info?

I it necessary to have it on over my service data plan 4G lte?

What about at home over wifi? I have netgear night hawk I think.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
A vps allows you to securely access a network without compromising any information.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Jeffrey's post is a good resource, but long story short, a VPN, or Virtual Private Network basically creates a "tunnel" from your machine to the secure network you VPN in to. This puts all your data into and through the tunnel and encrypts it, rather than just tossing it up in the air for anyone with a little know-how and packet-sniffing software to grab.

On any network, packet-sniffing software can be used to steal data from users. This is a bigger deal on a public network because anyone within range can use that network, instead of anyone authorized to do so on a closed/protected network.

Hope that helps for a simple explanation. As I said, Jeffery's link will give you MUCH more detail.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Great explanation lol u wish I could explain things in greater detail like that. Pretty much hit it on the head. They have different types a well. The difference is security levels and compatibility levels.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Great explanation lol u wish I could explain things in greater detail like that. Pretty much hit it on the head. They have different types a well. The difference is security levels and compatibility levels.
Well, I have a degree in computer networks and security systems and several Microsoft certifications, so I kinda have to know a bit about these things, even though I've only been in my first IT position since this summer.