Need new Calendar - Not associated with GMail

tarheel23

Reaction score
Okay, I have read tons of posts, and searched the internet for over a week and I just can't find a solution.

I have the Motorola Droid, and I do not use GMail. I have a godaddy account which is setup for Imap push email using K9 email client and it works great.

The problem is the default calendar on the droid can only be associated with a GMail account so it is useless to me.

Is there a calendar program that will do what I am asking? I don't need it to sync with anything, I only use my calendar on the phone itself.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey,

well as far as i know, there is atm no app giving you a
normal non-gmail calendar.

Why not just take a gmail account, and not using it as default to get a proper calendar,
that would be atm the only ssolution i can think of, beside having a corporate account activated
on your droid

Tigger

OP
T

tarheel23

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Neither of those is a viable option.

I don't have access to a corporate account and AFAIK you can only setup GMail email addresses with the default calendar.

It floors me that nothing exists for this. It seems pretty basic. Afterall, they included a non GMail email application.

From what I have read, there seems to a rather large demand for what I am looking for.

Frustrating.

Also, you have to associate your phone with a GMail account or you can't even use it. And, from what I can see, you can only associate 1 email address with the stock Calendar and it will only default to the GMail address.

Last edited:

SGTiger

Reaction score
I don't understand. Why don't you just accept a gmail account just for the calendar. Its not like you have to use the gmail email.

Just because you "sign in" to the google calendar with a gmail login and password doesn't mean you cannot continue to use your godaddy email account with K9. I don't get how this "association" between gmail and the calendar messes you up.

The following has nothing to do with the above, just wanted to add this. I have three different email accounts. I have these accounts all forward their email to gmail. In gmail, I can set up the "reply to address" to be one of the other three accounts. Therefore I can use gmail, but still receive email and interact with my clients with my company email account.

Nothing beats gmail with a practically unlimited inbox and lightning fast searches in this inbox. No need to ever delete from your inbox. You can search and find things from years ago in this inbox with thousands of emails, instantaneously. Gmail is so head and shoulders above my other email accounts, I will never go back to a non-gmail solution.

OP
T

tarheel23

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The reason I do not want a GMail account is irrelevant to what I am wanting, but if you must know, I host my own domain, and have for about 7 years. So to switch a GMail account would be going backwards and difficult since my domain is assoicated with my business. Would you want your banking customer service using a GMail account? Or, your credit card company? etc.. not professional.

Secondly, you must not understand how calendar appointments work. For example, when I had my blackberry, when someone sent me a calendar invite, it comes to my email inbox. I choose to accept it and it enters the appointment in my calendar. This is how they all work. Well, if someone sends me an invite to my godaddy email, then where is the appointment going to log? Also, if I send someone an invite, it's going to come from my GMail email address which is not the professional image I want to convey.

My blackberry was not connected or synced with any Enterprise or Exchange server. It was just standard BIS and the calender worked independantly.

The problem with this whole scenario is that whenever someones asks the question about an alternate Calender, other than the one associated with GMail, all the responses seem to say "just use GMail" and completely ignore the original question.

For the record. I will not, and have no interest in using any GMail address and quite frankly I should not have to.

With windows, blackberry, Palm, and any other I can think of you can use any email address you want with the device and default calenders. It's just Android devices that Google is trying to lock down to only use their email accounts.

With all the apps being created, it would nice if there were a basic calendar program to replace the limited default one.

I can already here the responses, which will be... "get a windows, blackberry, or palm device."

pyro6128

Reaction score
Well for the record, if you did get a gmail account, you wouldn't have to give up your other email, so the concern about professionalism is unwarranted since they wouldn't even have to know you own a gmail account. In theory, you could just get a gmail account, input whatever events you want into the calendar, and then keep the fact that you did it all with gmail a secret so that no one has to know. Aside from this, you're probably just going to have to wait for an app like this to come out.

But on a side note, if you're so against gmail and google products, then choosing an adroid phone which is completely integrated with google is probably not the best choice for you. You may need to stick with a blackberry if you want to avoid it all. I hope you eventually find what you're looking for though.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
you have to associate your phone with a GMail account or you can't even use it.

Ah.....Google Phone....:icon_ devil:

With all the apps being created, it would nice if there were a basic calendar program to replace the limited default one.

You can contract a developer if you want something that does not exist...

Last edited:

SGTiger

Reaction score
Also, if I send someone an invite, it's going to come from my GMail email address which is not the professional image I want to convey.

I too have my own domain name for my own company which has its own email. That is why I mentioned configuring Gmail to have your "professional email address" in the "reply to" section of any emails that originate from your gmail.

pyro6128

Reaction score
good call, this seems like the most practical way right now

pilot25

Reaction score
Ahhhh....Wouldn't it be nice if the Google Calendar had some useful features. It sucks!!

snowman

Reaction score
I'd go to the developer section and ask, someone will make it pretty quick
but I do have to agree with the listed solutions above,they sound good and will do what you want

arjunvenkatraman

Reaction score
Secondly, you must not understand how calendar appointments work. For example, when I had my blackberry, when someone sent me a calendar invite, it comes to my email inbox. I choose to accept it and it enters the appointment in my calendar. This is how they all work. Well, if someone sends me an invite to my godaddy email, then where is the appointment going to log? Also, if I send someone an invite, it's going to come from my GMail email address which is not the professional image I want to convey.

I absolutely agree with tarheel23...If I'm going to use the Droid with my company email, I need the invites I send out to come from my company email as well. It's not a question of liking or not liking Gmail (I love my gmail account...but its *personal*).

Now will the methods suggested above allow me to do that? I didnt really see a way to, but would be happy to be educated.