Need help.

Hackbone

Reaction score
Left my phone in the car plugged in to charge and it was cold outside. After several hours I went to the car and got the phone and the battery was dead. I've tried recharging and it is acting strangely. The unlock lock buttons are bouncing back and forth. Then the locations I had been using in navigation are scrolling up and down at random. I can't use the four keys at the bottom of the unit (home, setting etc.) and can't use any of the touch keys. I can hit the off button quickly and the unit will shut off. Says 10% charge.

M

Matth3w

A lot of electronics will act up when left in the cold. Is it warmed up yet? Full charge yet?

I would turn the phone off, charge it all the way up...by that time it should be nice and warm, and then see if you have the same problem.

I still agree with corn about potentially having condensation, but many many many devices (especially with LCD screens of some sort) get screwed up when left in the cold. Remember the first letter in LCD stands for Liquid, so it would be like leaving a bottle of water in the cold and expecting it to stay completely liquid and not freeze.

Maybe I'm just rambling, but unless you live in Fairbanks, Alaska (I was there when it was -50 ambient temps, without windchill), I wouldn't worry.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit - Matth3w beat me to it:

Cornicakes: I don't think he needs to go quite that deep. It probably is condensation (and another reason to leave the phone 'off' for a while) but he should be fine just letting it dry for a bit (i.e. no reason to go submersing it in alcohol). As is he can take it back and it should be covered under warranty. Once he submerges it he's left with only a insurance claim (i.e. out $89, since the alcohol submersion will trigger the water sticker/sensor).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't recall specifically for Li ion but generally cold isn't good for batteries.