Need help with e-mail

namakan

Reaction score
I had to replace my Droid yesterday with a new one and in doing so lost several settings I'm trying to duplicate. I need some help in figuring out something with respect to my POP3 work e-mail account.

On my previous phone when I would delete an e-mail in my POP3 account it would automatically delete it in my outlook desktop as well. This no longer seems to be the case as these e-mails still show up in my outlook inbox when opened.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most savvy electronic user so please go easy on me.

Anyone know how to change this?

Thanks!

OP
N

namakan

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my Droid yesterday with a new one and in doing so lost several settings I'm trying to duplicate. I need some help in figuring out something with respect to my POP3 work e-mail account.

On my previous phone when I would delete an e-mail in my POP3 account it would automatically delete it in my outlook desktop as well. This no longer seems to be the case as these e-mails still show up in my outlook inbox when opened.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most savvy electronic user so please go easy on me.

Anyone know how to change this?

Thanks!

What I suspect you had/did on your old phone was to delete the email on the pop3 SERVER, not on your "outlook desktop." (The latter is an email client, just like the email client on your phone.)

Depending on what email client you're using on your phone (e.g. "gmail", "email", "corporate email," or a third party email client like K-9) there is probably a setting in the account definition to delete email on the server when you delete it on your droid. There are likely other options like "Mark as read" or "Leave on Server." You probably have it set to the last of these options. That would mean that when you fire up your Outlook email client on your desktop system it goes to the email SERVER and downloads the mail again. (You may have it set to "poll" the server periodically and that would produce the same behavior.)

If that much information doesn't allow you to solve the problem, check to see if your Outlook is polling the server on a regular basis and you are also deleting email from the server from your droid. If that's the case, you may be experiencing a problem in which if you don't delete it from your phone before your Outlook client (on your desktop) polls, it pulls down the email. On the other hand, if you beat the Outlook client to the server and delete the email, it won't appear.

Needless to say, this latter condition can be very confusing.

Hope that helps.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Are you sure you had it set up as pop3 on the old phone and not set up as exchange? It sure sounds like exchange.

Try going into corporta email and go to settings, new account. Chose Exchange asnd answer the questions...email account, password, then exchange acount(could be same as email and could be different...usually the user name you use to log into the domain) and probably the same password. Your server name is next (I think you could put in a static IP address but I use the machine name followed by dot, then domain. (mail.servername.com) In this example, mail is the machine name, severname.com is the domain.

Next it will ask how often you want to sync to the server and how many days you want synced.

See what happens. If it says it is downloading emails then you have success. If not...go back to POP3 settings and I can't help you.

Nate

OP
N

namakan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll try messing around with these settings and see what happens.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you had it set up as pop3 on the old phone and not set up as exchange? It sure sounds like exchange.
It could just as well be IMAP from the explanation given. There's a tendency to assume that Outlook means Exchange though that's not always the case.

A quick look at Outlook's email account settings would verify the answer.

There's definitely no way to enable deletions on the Droid and the email client on the PC with a POP account though (not without some software syncing the deletions on the Droid and on the desktop PC).

Last edited:
OP
N

namakan

Reaction score
I finally determined last night that it was set up as IMAP before and not POP3. Everything is working smoothly again!

Thanks for everyones input!

nateccnn

Reaction score
It could just as well be IMAP from the explanation given. There's a tendency to assume that Outlook means Exchange though that's not always the case.

A quick look at Outlook's email account settings would verify the answer.

There's definitely no way to enable deletions on the Droid and the email client on the PC with a POP account though (not without some software syncing the deletions on the Droid and on the desktop PC).

Outlook NEVER means Exchange. Outlook is a client. It can connect to an Exchange server or any other pop3, Imap or Exchange server. You are right though...people get the two confused. Just pointing out that there is never a case where Outlook is Exchange.

Also...verifying by looking at the Outlook settings may or may not give the answer. I use different settings on various desktops throughout the enterprise. One client uses POP3, another uses IMAP and I myself use Exchange. All three work on the same server. Now get this...I have to switch my laptop to POP3 only when I am at home on my DSL. My provider blocks one of the ports used in an effort to reduce relayed SPAM. I could eaisly rebuild my firewall to use a different port but then that would create chaos for other users. It's easier for me to change my email settings when I go home.

It can get confusing. Expecially when the IT department doesn't quite understand what they think they understand. A lot of times IT bangs their head against the wall...finally finds a setting in the Exchange setup that makes a client work and they say from now on and forever more every client will use THESE settings. And they leave it at that. A lot of the problems I have helped users work out turned out to be firewall settings. Hard firewall...soft firewall? Lots of different variables. Exchange works internally...then users leaves office and it no longer wors. Somneone forgot to define a pinhole that Exchange uses and it all works with POP3 but not IMAP or Exchange.

It cracks me up how many experts are floating around the IT world. I know for a fact I am not an expert. But I solve things that the trained IT professional can't see. That field uses an entirely different language than the rest of us use. LOL

Nate