Need Help with Bootlooped Maxx

1PDoc

Reaction score
Hoping this is the right forum to ask this...

I'm new to rooting and a few weeks ago I made the mistake of trying to change font on stock ROM using ROM Toolbox. Now my stock side is boot looped. I can still access and flash custom ROMs, which is fine, but I'd like a fully functional device.

A couple other details: 1) I'm running Safestrap 3.05; 2) No, I didn't do a back-up

I'll know better next time around. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any help- thanks.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hoping this is the right forum to ask this...

I'm new to rooting and a few weeks ago I made the mistake of trying to change font on stock ROM using ROM Toolbox. Now my stock side is boot looped. I can still access and flash custom ROMs, which is fine, but I'd like a fully functional device.

A couple other details: 1) I'm running Safestrap 3.05; 2) No, I didn't do a back-up

I'll know better next time around. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any help- thanks.
The first thing I would try is to clear cache/clear delvik/clear data on the "stock side". You will have to get into recovery to do this.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I would probably use matts utility to fastboot back to stock and start from scratch. It'll be a bit of a pain setting everything up again, but probably worth it in the long run. And make a backup next time

Sent from my XT912 running some custom Rom.....I can't keep changing this sig

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
I did clear cache, etc but it did no good.

I have Matt's utility 1.82., hoping this is correct? If you can guide me to the most comprehensive set of instructions I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm a little unclear if I can run it with safestrap still installed and whether I'll need to re-root afterwards?

I'm fine setting everything back up- I'm the one who made the stupid mistake, so I deserve it. And sorry for so many questions-thanks for your help...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Your phone will be like "new" after you run the utility. So yes you will need to reroot and reinstall safe strap. For the utility its simple, most instructions are on screen. Make sure Moto drivers are installed on the computer. Open the utility, put your phone in fast boot mode and plug it in, choose the option to restore back to ICS and off you go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
Cool- Thanks.

One final question before I get going on this. I was going to try this last night on my own but decided to hold off for some feedback. That's how I got myself into this mess to begin with. Anyway I did tried to load the drivers but my PC keeps coming up with an error message. I have drivers previously loaded from my computer does recognize my device when plugged in- should that be sufficient?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Clear instructions provided by tismydroid

Yes echoexs, if I understand correctly, you can return to official OTA stock ICS by using option 1 of the utility. When you have enough charge (at least 50%), follow these steps...

Going back to stock .211:
*On your pc, download and install Matt's Razr Utility 1.8 or 1.81 or 1.82. You can find 1.82 here:
Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com
*Extract that utility to its own folder on your computer...you must extract the file on your pc. It will not work from your phone.
*After the utility is extracted, go to the Motorola drivers folder in the utility and make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your pc.
*make sure your phone is set to usb debugging mode (menu>system setting>developer options).
*Power your phone off. Then power your phone on while holding down your power, the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
*Connect your phone to your computer with the factory supplied usb cable.
*On your phone select AP Fastboot, then in the utility select option 1..."restore phone to stock .211. Do not unplug the usb cable until the utility finishes.
*When completed your phone should reboot to stock .211.
*After running option 1, restart phone to make sure all is fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
I'm sorry some of that wasn't clear. I meant to write that I already had drivers installed on my computer from several weeks ago (I just rooted ~1 month ago)

Last night I was unable to download the drivers from matt's utility. I Figured it wouldn't hurt to reinstall in case there were Any changes. That's when I began getting error messages and just called it quits for the night.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you have drivers installed and you rooted successfully with them then they should work just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. What needs clarification?

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
You were clear- I wasn't...Lots of typos in one of my replies.

Gonna try utility now. Will let you know result. Help has been greatly appreciated.

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
It worked! I'm back to stock.

Thanks to all who gave feedback.

I am going to go ahead and root again. It looks like I can use the same utility to accomplish this except I would choose a different option, is that correct?

OP
1PDoc

1PDoc

Reaction score
All is well- I can now access stock. Strangely enough, ALL of my data returned. I only needed to re-root then reinstall SS. Even my custom ROMs were intact once I reinstalled SS. All I used before was Titanium but never did a Nandroid backup or anything else.

I'm obviously happy I don't have to start over, but I'm not sure how I didn't lose my data. Any ideas how I got so lucky?? Just curious...

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Odd.... I don't know. I'm glad it worked though!