Need help rooting my TB...!!!

305rev305

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had about three Android phones and the TB since day 1. Always been opposed to rooting but I finally want to take the plunge. Need help. Someone told me to get ROM Manager and just get Bamf or CM7 but do I have to root first or will this root my phone? Also, don't I need Titanium Backup to save my existing stuff on my phone?? What are the exact course of actions do I need to do? I would like a Rom that's working and not being tested out at the moment...I can always unroot and back to my original TB, right? Thanks all

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
First you must root and unlock your bootloader. Go here.

Once you're finished there, download ROM Manager from the market and use it to flash clockworkmod recovery.

You can't use Titanium Backup until you have root privileges, and the rooting process will wipe all your data. I'm not sure about other methods of backing up apps and/or data...MyBackup Pro, perhaps? Not sure what needs root and what doesn't.

I'm running BAMF 1.8.6 (Froyo with MR2 radio) and I find it to be super stable and functional.

Good luck.

polish23

Reaction score
You could also AUTO ROOT... Makes everything unbelievably easy just follow all the instructions. Also, it depends on what version of Android you want to run, but I am currently running BAMF Sense 3.0 GB, with the MR 2.5 radio, and it is also very stable. Can't go wrong with BAMF!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Auto root takes the challenge out of rooting, and is definitely the way to go.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cmon...adb ain't that hard... ;)

Sent from my NookColor

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
You could also AUTO ROOT... Makes everything unbelievably easy just follow all the instructions. Also, it depends on what version of Android you want to run, but I am currently running BAMF Sense 3.0 GB, with the MR 2.5 radio, and it is also very stable. Can't go wrong with BAMF!

You know what this is what i needed to force me to root.

I use to flash roms like a maniac on my D1 but the thunderbolt scares me because it is brickable.

but screw it i'm sick of waiting for gb

i'm rooting

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
The process is a bit more involved but once you get there and get clockwork installed you'll feel right at home. :)

sent from my bolt

Kboss375

Reaction score
How is the camera on bamf, I hear some roms have Laggy cameras.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is the camera on bamf, I hear some roms have Laggy cameras.

No lag here, that might be an issue on some of the gingerbread builds. 1.8.6 is froyo

sent from my bolt

Kboss375

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had rooted with the auto root and everything seemed to be fine. I installed Rom manager and downloaded a Rom but it would never reboot and install like it would it would on my Droid 1. If i I manually went into the boot loader and installed the properly named zip file it would fail. Any one have an idea what went wrong. I would love to root again, but that is holding me back right now.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
A few weeks ago I had rooted with the auto root and everything seemed to be fine. I installed Rom manager and downloaded a Rom but it would never reboot and install like it would it would on my Droid 1. If i I manually went into the boot loader and installed the properly named zip file it would fail. Any one have an idea what went wrong. I would love to root again, but that is holding me back right now.

This is holding me back from auto rooting

anyone else have this issue?

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie

Once you're finished there, download ROM Manager from the market and use it to flash clockworkmod recovery.

You can't use Titanium Backup until you have root privileges, and the rooting process will wipe all your data. I'm not sure about other methods of backing up apps and/or data...MyBackup Pro, perhaps? Not sure what needs root and what doesn't.

I'm running BAMF 1.8.6 (Froyo with MR2 radio) and I find it to be super stable and functional.

Good luck.

This process seems really simple why is everone making a big deal out of it?

The only question I have is where do i put the downloaded files before i start the process?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

The only question I have is where do i put the downloaded files before i start the process?

The downgrade and upgrade RUUs - wherever, they're eventually going to be put on the root of your sd card as PG05IMG.zip.

The exploits files...I would make a folder called "exploits" or "tb_root" or whatever and unzip all the files into there. Then in your terminal just cd into that directory and follow the instructions.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie

Good luck.

The downgrade and upgrade RUUs - wherever, they're eventually going to be put on the root of your sd card as PG05IMG.zip.

The exploits files...I would make a folder called "exploits" or "tb_root" or whatever and unzip all the files into there. Then in your terminal just cd into that directory and follow the instructions.

ok thanks.

I'm going to try this tonight when I get out of work.

Hopefully I won't mess things up too bad.

I heard after I root I should flash the new radio before flashing a ROM or Kernal is that true?