Need help rooting my incredible

bschultze

Reaction score
I have tried to root my incredible and was having no success. I went and bought the pny 2g card and it still says device not found. Can anyone help me.

butterfras

Reaction score
Look Here

I had a lot of trouble with getting root. Look at the post above, Download the sdk and files from the 10 min vide, Install the custom driver from the Wiki, then try methods in the PRS Rooting Guide.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Use Unrevoked.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
I used a combination of the following instructions...
Finally got Root with 2gig card that came with phone - xda-developers
public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]

and instead of modifying the USB drivers that the SDK downloads, I used the drivers from -> public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

I couldn't get the drivers loaded in XP sp2, so I switched to Win 7 and it was fine.

to sum it up..

1. Download SDK (android-sdk_r06-windows.zip) from Android SDK | Android Developers
  2. unzip the SDK to the root of drive C
  3. download the "unrEVOked modified USB driver" from public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
  4. unzip the "unrEVOked modified USB driver" to the C drive
  5. make sure USB Debugging is enabled on the INC. (settings->applications->development->check the box for USB Debugging)
  6. Power the phone on, connect via USB cable to PC, and select "charge only"
  7. load the drivers. For the ADB driver, Windows add new hardware wizard should prompt you about not having a correct driver, point it to the unzipped "unrEVOked modified USB driver"
  8. create a loop.cmd or loop.bat in the SDK\Tools folder which just loops "ADB SHELL"
    Code:
    :top
    adb shell
    goto top
  9. open command prompt, navigate to your SDK\Tools folder and type in: adb devices. when you hit enter it should list your phone as being connected.
  10. at the prompt type: adb reboot recovery and press enter
  11. as soon as the prompt is back type: loop and hit enter to start the adb shell loop. As soon as the loop starts running, the phone should show the white HTC Incredible screen, start clicking in and out the sd card before you hear the device disconnected sound on your pc. keep clicking the card in and out until you hear device connected sound on you pc. Look for "failed: No such file or directory" message on PC, if you see it, you're in Recovery Mode and ready to go onto the next step. If you don't see "failed: No such file or directory (2) for after another 10, 15 seconds stop clicking the card. take the battery out of the phone, put it back in, wait for it to reboot and repeat this step.
  12. Once in recovery mode, I finished up by using the instructions under the heading of "I just got ADB running in recovery mode! Now what?" on -> public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]
Credit go to the above links... I just took what I used from each and summarized them here..

I did not purchase a new card.

And again, I had problems loading the driver in XP, so I had to use Win7, and I imagine Vista would have worked too.

Last edited:

Zarg95ET

Reaction score
Hi, i have recently rooted my phone but noticed there were updates for the superuser app i couldn't get into the abd so i figured it was because i was already rooted. so i downgraded my incredible and re updated it and was now unrooted and so i began to try to re root my phone n its impossible now it never picks up the recovery mode. I'm doing the same exact thing i did last time to get rooted. can anyone help? i have tried every method possible.