Trick to Rooting the Incredible

keaton7095

Reaction score
First off I am rooting off of a Win 7 x64 system. The trick seems to be to have the right driver loaded for the actual recover as well as some other things. One thing I noticed about adding this:
;
;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94

to the android_winusb.inf file in the usb_driver folder of your sdk is the only way I could get it to install was by going the PID to that matching my device which is not 09CE, it happens to be 0FF9. In recovery your computer seems to use a default usb mass storage driver which has to be uninstalled then directed towards the folder in your Android SDK folder named usb_drivers. The driver if installed correctly should be named Android ADB Interface while in recovery, not USB Mass Storage Device.

After I got the right driver installed it still did not work I was using the loop.bat method and kept getting the "error:no device found" method and having been working this for days. I bought about 4 different sd cards and tried them all. The only way I got a card to work is if I formatted the card in a FAT32 format with the allocation size set to 4096. I used the default quick format setting. After I got the right message from running the loop.bat and rooting successfully the card no longer worked after being in the device through a full boot into Android. So reformatting may be the trick here. The drivers in fastboot and bootloader do not seem to affect the outcome for me, Only the drivers in recovery and the card itself being formatted. After that everything else was easy. After you have the correct drivers and have formatted the SD Card then you can run adb shell in a loop and reboot the device into recovery and it should give you the correct message, not the "error:no device found" one. I believe that if you can get both the drivers installed and the right formatted sdcard by chance it will happen for you. Let me know if you need anymore specific information on the tweaks I did as I was one of the people who was about to give up hope because I tried everything possible even downgrading and updating again.

I was using a PNY 2GB class 4 card when I was successful but it was the first one I formatted under FAT32 at 4096 allocation size if that helps anyone.

shamus

Reaction score
First off I am rooting off of a Win 7 x64 system. The trick seems to be to have the right driver loaded for the actual recover as well as some other things. One thing I noticed about adding this:
;
;HTC Incredible

to the android_winusb.inf file in the usb_driver folder of your sdk is the only way I could get it to install was by going the PID to that matching my device which is not 09CE, it happens to be 0FF9. In recovery your computer seems to use a default usb mass storage driver which has to be uninstalled then directed towards this folder.

After I got the right driver installed it still did not work I was using the loop.bat method and kept getting the "error:no device found" method and having been working this for days. I bought about 4 different sd cards and tried them all. The only way I got a card to work is if I formatted the card in a FAT32 format with the allocation size set to 4096. I used the default quick format setting. After I got the right message from running the loop.bat and rooting successfully the card no longer worked after being in the device through a full boot into Android. So reformatting may be the trick here. The drivers in fastboot and bootloader do not seem to affect the outcome for me, Only the drivers in recovery and the card itself being formatted. After that everything else was easy. I believe that if you can get both the drivers installed and the right formatted sdcard by chance it will happen for you. Let me know if you need anymore specific information on the tweaks I did as I was one of the people who was about to give up hope because I tried everything possible even downgrading and updating again.

I was using a PNY 2GB class 4 card when I was successful but it was the first one I formatted under FAT32 at 4096 allocation size if that helps anyone.

Can you elaborate on that for us?

OP
keaton7095

keaton7095

Reaction score
What part/s do you need elaboration on specifically? I am new to writing help on Android even though I know well what I am doing.

shamus

Reaction score
What part/s do you need elaboration on specifically? I am new to writing help on Android even though I know well what I am doing.

The driver part that I bolded in the quote. Maybe you could tell us a little more about the process.

I actually just got mine rooted and I posted in the other thread but I have been 100% convinced that a driver issue was the problem. I used the SD card trick but during this, my win7 machine found some new drivers and I was rooted a couple minutes later.

I'm just trying to help pinpoint the problem for everyone else.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

R1Lover

Reaction score
The problem is the drivers as you stated.... there are a few things that have worked for people...

1. when you see the mass storage driver pop up in recovery.... manually install the driver from sdk/tools/usd-drivers and it will work for some...

2. Use the sdcard pull method has also worked for some. (pull out the sdcard while in recovery mode and then put it back in.... windows sometimes see's this and installs the proper driver.

OP
keaton7095

keaton7095

Reaction score
When I deleted both the USB Mass Storage Devices I had show up in device manager one was some random usb2.0xxx and another was "Android Phone" I clicked properties and looked at the hardware ids from there and they did not match that of the part you need to add to usb_drivers file in this step:

1. First thing, in your usb driver folder in your sdk dir, we need to edit the "android_winusb.inf"

Look for and add this under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] lines.

;
;HTC Incredible
and save.

VID is the vendor id being htc. But PID is product id or hardware. I changed those values to match my phone being 0FF9 and then when I updated the "Android Phone" driver that popped up when I uninstalled the USB Mass Storage devices I directed it to this folder, all of which I did while I was still in recovery, and it found the driver and installed "Android ADB Interface" then after that it was just a matter of formatting the SD Card right and it worked fine multiple times. Every time as long as I did not actually boot into Android with that formatted card.

shamus

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm going to unroot tomorrow and try to see how your method works for me. Thanks.

OP
keaton7095

keaton7095

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that even though we all have the same product as far as it being an HTC Droid Incredible goes we may not all have phones that match the Product ID in the edit to the usb_drivers file. Just a thought.

shamus

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that even though we all have the same product as far as it being an HTC Droid Incredible goes we may not all have phones that match the Product ID in the edit to the usb_drivers file. Just a thought.

I hear ya. I'll dig in tomorrow and see what I find.
My excitement for root was probably 10% wanting to delete a few programs I didn't need and 90% the challenge it became.
So worse case scenario, for me, is that I unroot and can't get it back for whatever goofy reason. In which case I'll have my screens to remind me I at least had it:laugh:

R1Lover

Reaction score
once the drivers are setup and working it will work everytime.... no need to play anymore lol

sdorn

Reaction score
How do you account for the fact that many people have been able to do the root with no drivers installed at all? Over on XDA the majority consensus is that it is all dependent on the SD card.

OP
keaton7095

keaton7095

Reaction score
When you say that they do not have any drivers installed at all you mean of course that there was no need for them to modify, change, or install them manually. I suspect they their system for whatever reason, maybe from playing with the phone on ADB before root, they do have the right drivers. All we are saying is that the people who just absolutely can't get it working should try these methods. If it was only the SD Card that mattered many more people would have success. Or they would have sure fire way to make any SD Card work. Thats all we are saying lol. :)

givmedew

Reaction score
The problem is the drivers as you stated.... there are a few things that have worked for people...

1. when you see the mass storage driver pop up in recovery.... manually install the driver from sdk/tools/usd-drivers and it will work for some...

2. Use the sdcard pull method has also worked for some. (pull out the sdcard while in recovery mode and then put it back in.... windows sometimes see's this and installs the proper driver.

I was following the 10min root instructions and in the sdk folder provided it does not include /sdk/tools/usb-drivers

If you need to actually have the entire android sdk installed then the 10min instuction video is wrong and will fail for anyone without sdk full install

R1Lover

Reaction score

I was following the 10min root instructions and in the sdk folder provided it does not include /sdk/tools/usb-drivers

If you need to actually have the entire android sdk installed then the 10min instuction video is wrong and will fail for anyone without sdk full install

After you run the setup for the SDK, you are given the options of which packages to install.... you need to scroll down the list to the bottom and select USB Drivers... and it will put them in your sdk/tools folder.

R1Lover

Reaction score
How do you account for the fact that many people have been able to do the root with no drivers installed at all? Over on XDA the majority consensus is that it is all dependent on the SD card.

Not sure who you are talking too.... but as said above... there isn't one single answer for all... there are many different OS's people are using as well as many different brands/configurations of both software and hardware... not all of them are going to work exactly the same.

All we are trying to do is help everyone get rooted.

So far there is only one person I have been helping who has still not had any success.