need help rooting incredible

hobby31

Reaction score
Hey all, Sorry I would have posted in an existing threat but I'm afraid it would get lost in all teh others. I've tried every method I could find and still can't get root on the incredible. I'm use to adb and rooting as I've rooted the tmobile g1 and the moto droid. I'm also pretty computer literate. I think the problem lies with how my computer is identifying my phone. My setup:

Window Vista home premium 64 bit.

I've tried:
public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]
and
Droid Incredible root instructions now available (updated) | Android Central
and
Root process, my regurgitation of it, with Perm Part added.

I've also modified my android_winusb.inf file adding these lines and updating the drivers through the device manager:
;
;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94

Now, in device manager when I fastboot or go to the boot loader screen the phone shows up as:
--android bootloader device
When I boot into recovery it goes away and when the red triangle shows up on the phone to show I'm in recovery the phone shows back up as:
--usb mass storage device

I think it should still be showing up as -android bootloader device- for this to work and not a usb mass storage device.

Can anyone help? thanks in advance

UPDATE: I finally got it by using a 2gb PNY sdcard I got from walmart. I had tried 5 other cards but they were all SanDisk cards. I guess it really was the card. I really thought it was the drivers I had installed and something to do with windows vista but on my second attempt with the 2gb card it worked.

shamus

Reaction score
We're having the same problem in the 'root in 10 minutes' thread.
And we still haven't figured out a way around it.

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
We're having the same problem in the 'root in 10 minutes' thread.
And we still haven't figured out a way around it.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I was the only one having this problem. I've tried 5 different sdcards also. It's gotta be the way the phone is showing up after it goes into recovery mode. I hope somebody can figure this out.

shamus

Reaction score
Ok I just got it. It only like me about 10 hours off and on:laugh:

I used the SD card trick and it worked first try. Holy moses!
I'm going to find the exact steps for that trick and post it here in a few.
It definitely seems like a driver issue with 64bit systems. Once I did this trick, in a loop, I noticed my laptop re-finding a driver and the rest is history!
Tomorrow I will try to copy the driver and share it.
2d0f95u.jpg

shamus

Reaction score
try this maybe?

Code:
1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

Giving credit where credit is due (I hope:))

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
try this maybe?

Code:
1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

Funny, I was just trying this when you posted. It was a no go for me. I'm going to go to wally world tomorrow and get one of the 2g PNY cards and see if that helps. I've used 5 different cards: 2 different 16gb, a 8gb, a 2gb, and a 128k card. They were all Sandisk though except teh 128k card. This has to be something like the phone looking for some file on the sdcard and when it doesn't find it it drops out of the bootloader status and goes into usb mode. I don't know how a sdcard could make a difference. I hope someone is able to make a file to put on your card so when the phone looks for it it stays in recovery adb mode.

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score

shamus

Reaction score

Funny, I was just trying this when you posted. It was a no go for me. I'm going to go to wally world tomorrow and get one of the 2g PNY cards and see if that helps. I've used 5 different cards: 2 different 16gb, a 8gb, a 2gb, and a 128k card. They were all Sandisk though except teh 128k card. This has to be something like the phone looking for some file on the sdcard and when it doesn't find it it drops out of the bootloader status and goes into usb mode. I don't know how a sdcard could make a difference. I hope someone is able to make a file to put on your card so when the phone looks for it it stays in recovery adb mode.

Well damn there goes my theory about it being a 64 bit issue. It happened so effortlessly with that SD trick for me. I was really hoping yours (and everyone else with this issue) would do the same.
To save you the time of reading through that other bigger thread, the only SD related steps I took was this trick and I also formatted (not a quick format) the card with an external card reader.
Maybe give that a try.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
Not sure if there is a workaround

I did find I cannot use vista to do this on DI, It seems to only work on win7 either 32 or 64 bit tried vista 32 and 64 as well as xp pro, only had luck wiht win7

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
I did find I cannot use vista to do this on DI, It seems to only work on win7 either 32 or 64 bit tried vista 32 and 64 as well as xp pro, only had luck wiht win7

Just tried this on my Vista home premium and had no luck. I guess I'm going to go get one of the PNY 2gb sdcards and try that. Anyone know how to do this on a LINUX based machine? I'm running PCLINUXOS on one of my laptops. I'm currently on vacation and away from home and only have a laptop with vista on it with me and wont be able to try this on LINUX until sunday. I'm wondering if I would have more luck trying this on LINUX? Anyone have experience with LINUX here?

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It all came down to a stupid 2gb PNY card from wal-mart. I made it to walmart today and purchased the card for $11 and it worked on my second try. This after about a week of trying with 5 other cards and every method I could find on this forum and the incredible forums as well as others. I thought it had to do with the drivers installed and really didn't think the card would make a difference but it sure did.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
Its a timing thing

I tried on everycard I could find and I did notice its harder to do on the faster card.

The 2gb you purchased is probly slower making it easier for you to time it.
Its like them old video games where you have to time a jump or something if you dont time your 2 button presses just write it wont work. This is why people believe it doesn't work on faster cards, this isn't true. YOu just have to click sooner on the faster card.

The more times you do it, you'll see what i mean. I get it just about everytime now that Im use to the timing of my card, but I did my friends on his class 6 card it took a few tries, his card is faster than the one that came free with my incredible. I had already popped my droid's 16 gb into my incredible for so I used the new empty one to partition for apps2sd. but I believe it was a class 4 card dont quote me. Its the one that ships free with the incredible when it was pre-ordered