Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
SetCPU, Wired and WiFI tethering apps from my signature (even if you never intend to use them better that you have them than need them and can't find them), Titanium Backup, Terminal Emulator, and an immediate Nandroid backup just in case you hate whatever ROM you end up flashing because you get bored with stock. :) Trust me, ANY of the AOSP ROMs and most if not all of the hacked ROMs are better than stock.

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
So I should go make the nandroid backup right now correct?

And I wanna give this cyan mod ROM a try so can you direct me or walk me through doing that? (And I have downloaded ROM manager idk if you use that at all)

I read your explanation on it all and you said it was fast and stable. Pretty solid.

And how would I go about prolonging the life of my battery so I don't have to constantly recharge it? (Not that there's something wrong with it right now or anything)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Don't overclock over 800MHz, either manually adjust your kernel voltages down or use a low- or ultra-low voltage kernel, don't WiFi tether unless it's plugged into a power source, etc. etc...

As for installing it, you do a factory reset and then a standard update.zip install of the ROM then another of the Google app pack. You should be familiar with standard update.zip installs as you just did one to get your phone rooted.

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
Alright well how would you go about theming a rom (cause I don't use metamorph and idk how it works yet)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well, with Cyan you can install the stock black rom from the settings, or you can theme ADW, or you can wait for someone to port a theme or make a them in update.zip format for 6.1.2 because they should be on it. :)

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
so before switching to Cyan Mod, what apps (besides the ones you listed) would be wise to have on my phone?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Or skip ROM Manager and all the problems it cause unless you're an experienced hacker and know how to deal with the issues it can, does, and will cause.

Yes, that would sum it up.

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
How would you go about doing it? (Finding the zip files needed, creating a nandroid backup, back up all your apps in titanium, naming the zip file "update" zip, wipe data/cache, and installing it through SP Recovery?)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Pretty much. I don't even do Titanium, but I don't ROM-jump. :)

I find the source for the ROM I want, then I bookmark the link. For example, this is Team Douche's file repository for the ROM.

TeamDouche Mirror System

The Droid 1's hardware is Sholes.

The latest app pack is always located here:

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

As you can see from the table, it takes the HDPI version.

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
Yeah I don't wanna ROM jump either I want something to be satisfied with. So you don't use titanium at all whatsoever?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I will when I want to back up my text messages... but I haven't hit that point yet.

I'm thinking I'll have to wipe my phone when CM 7 comes out, so I have it for that reason, but I also nabbed it to check the busybox version. Totally unrelated. :)