Need help, phone wont turn on/charge

Reaction score
So i installed SPRecovery into my phone (going through the whole RSD method) and tried to root my phone after that, i made the mistake of not making a nandroid backup before i rooted. Now my phone constantly reboots, i cant charge it at all through the wall, if i plus it up to the computer it will show the light come on when its plugged in but wont turn on. If i plug it up to the wall, i can hold x and go into Sp Recovery and i think i can also pull up the bootloader. Any suggestions on how to fix this? i dont want to void my warranty and tomorrow i get a new phone and HAVE to send this one back

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You voided your warranty by rooting so, um, okay?

Flash RZR recovery as it allows you to charge from recovery if RSD Lite will let you. If not, you need to borrow a battery or butcher a USB cable.

OP
IRON_CATASTROPHE
Reaction score
i know i did, but Verizon doesnt know that lol.....til they get this phone back..And dont i have to at least bootload my phone in oder for RSD to recognize it?

where can i find Flash RZR recovery?

and i have 2 different batteries but my phone still wont stay on for either one

eggebarwood

Reaction score
I am having the same problems !!... cant keep phopne on long enough for RSD to recognize it. when I try to start in the bootloader it says battery too low .

eggebarwood

Reaction score
well....how do you fix this??? I know we are in DoidHood, but that is no help.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The fix may depend on what happened to get you here, so please tell me how you got here so I can tell you the best method to get back. :) What happened that you're at this point?

Can you boot into recovery at all? Do you have a spare USB cable of any type that you can butcher, I mean modify? A friend you can borrow a battery from or charge your battery in their phone? An external charger?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
We need to know what you did in order to help you back out...

Were you rooting, installing a new rom, attempting to solve world hunger, what? Just a bit more than "I am in the same boat, my phone wont stay on"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

eggebarwood

Reaction score
We need to know what you did in order to help you back out...

Were you rooting, installing a new rom, attempting to solve world hunger, what? Just a bit more than "I am in the same boat, my phone wont stay on"

I was installing SPRecovery...when i thought it was done I closed RSDlite and my phone rebooted. That is where it all started...Now it keeps turning off and on while pluged in. It shows dead battery and says need to connect charger even when pluged in. When I try to get to the bootloader it says batter too low cant program. When the phone does stay on for long enough to mess with it tells me android system not responding. and asks to force close.

I dont have another battery but I can cut up a cord if needed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did you get a PASS? If so you flashed the wrong SBF and you have a 2.1 kernel on your 2.2 install. If not then you may have to flash a new SBF.

If you DID get a pass try to boot into recovery. If you can you can install a 2.2 kernel because SPRecovery allows you to mount USB mass storage mode and you can transfer the update.zip to your SD card that way.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
^^^ what he said. Most every problem I know if caused by sbf's is putting an unsupported kernel on the android version. Either hack the usb cord or spend a few $$ on an external charger then flash the latest sbf (or if you know what older version you had reflash that) and you phone should be just fine.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Credit to csealpcr and whoever else posted this first!

Use an old USB cable -- any should do. You shouldn't have to butcher your Motorola cable. Do this only if you absolutely need to.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Credit to csealpcr and whoever else posted this first!

Use an old USB cable -- any should do. You shouldn't have to butcher your Motorola cable. Do this only if you absolutely need to.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

:icon_eek: GULP :icon_eek: