Need GPS recommendation

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I'm into a car now with no GPS so I need to use my cell phone for turn by turn directions. I must've downloaded 1/2 dozen that were all junk. Can anyone recommend one? Must have turn by turn audible directions. Thanks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm into a car now with no GPS so I need to use my cell phone for turn by turn directions. I must've downloaded 1/2 dozen that were all junk. Can anyone recommend one? Must have turn by turn audible directions. Thanks.
May be too late to help but Google Maps does audible turn by turn directions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I'll second the google maps. just wish the screen would dim or shut off on the long freeway sections.

Rowlette

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I highly recommend Waze which is owned by Google but social supported. It gives you Google Maps plus, road hazards, disabled vehicles, police reports, slow downs etc. I been using this app for years it is free, as an alternative to my Vehicle GPS set for alternative routes and if not set for designation( Turn by Turn) it is activated for the reasons prestated and a heads up for Red light cameras. It's like having a radar or an extra set of eyes beyond you physical vision and a Great safety tool.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

Last edited:
OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just tried Google Maps. Does a good job. Thanks for the recommendation.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'd still give Waze a try, it has some unique features that GM is missing. I use both, depending on the situation. Sure wish Google would combine them into a single killer nav app!

JDH

Reaction score
I use Google maps for navigation in car and on motorcycle and find it reasonably good. I use the traffic settings for heads-up .
That said, for real GPS, as in top of the line Garmin or Magellan, I have several of each ranging in price from $400 to $800. I purchased the $20 version of Gaia GPS for my turbo and it has all the features of a top of the line hand held from any manufacturer. If you're looking for real GPS I highly recommend the Gaia on play store.