Need a guide to update rooted D3 to the 5.7.906 OTA.

Psyfer9983

Reaction score
Hello. I got a message on my droid last night wanting to update to 5.7.906. I have look for hours here for a guide on how to do this but really couldn't find one that I felt comfortable with. Right now my phone is on 5.6.890 and it IS ROOTED. I want to update it with the 5.7.906 OTA and still be rooted. Anybody care to post a walk-through/guide to help me do this? Thanks.

Would be nice if Google would just have an option for root access without going through hoops to get it.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hello. I got a message on my droid last night wanting to update to 5.7.906. I have look for hours here for a guide on how to do this but really couldn't find one that I felt comfortable with. Right now my phone is on 5.6.890 and it IS ROOTED. I want to update it with the 5.7.906 OTA and still be rooted. Anybody care to post a walk-through/guide to help me do this? Thanks.Would be nice if Google would just have an option for root access without going through hoops to get it.

Is it just rooted? or do you have a bootstrap installed?

If it is just rooted, take the update. Then search for Motofail for the D4. Run that and it will re-root you. Done!

If you have a strap installed, reply back with which one and we'll go from there.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh and its not Google's fault, it's either Moto or VZW (or both) depending on how you look at it.

OP
P

Psyfer9983

Reaction score
Is it just rooted? or do you have a bootstrap installed?

If it is just rooted, take the update. Then search for Motofail for the D4. Run that and it will re-root you. Done!

If you have a strap installed, reply back with which one and we'll go from there.

This is the bootstrap I have installed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid3.bootstrap

I don't think I will get in trouble for posting that link since its linking to Google Play.

Oh and its not Google's fault, it's either Moto or VZW (or both) depending on how you look at it.

I know, but I wish Google would enforce guidelines/rules for companies that want to use Android OS that gives us (the user) the option to have root access or not.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This is the bootstrap I have installed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid3.bootstrap

I don't think I will get in trouble for posting that link since its linking to Google Play.

I know, but I wish Google would enforce guidelines/rules for companies that want to use Android OS that gives us (the user) the option to have root access or not.

Ok, personally, I would uninstall the bootstrap. Take the OTA, reroot with Motofail, and install Safestrap (2.01 is the latest) It's called Safe for a reason ;-)

And as far as the rules, it wouldn't be Open Source then :p

OP
P

Psyfer9983

Reaction score
Ok, personally, I would uninstall the bootstrap. Take the OTA, reroot with Motofail, and install Safestrap (2.01 is the latest) It's called Safe for a reason ;-)

And as far as the rules, it wouldn't be Open Source then :p

Do I uninstall the bootstrap via the app manager without running the app first? And whats this Motofail, I read across it a couple of times but don't know what it is.

Also, will the OTA remove clockwork recovery? I had to use the bootstrap again to get it to boot into it to do a backup last night. I wish this droid 3 was like my old d1 where if something goes wrong, I could run rsdlite and flash the stock rom.