Napster Is Making A Comeback!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Napster is coming back! Before you get too excited this is not the Napster you remember from High School. I had "broadband" back in the day. My 1.5m DSL connection meant that I could download an entire song in about 10minutes. (often slower if the uploader was on a 56k connection!) I was the first of my friends to discover Napster, and was the first of my friends to acquire a CD burner. As you can imagine I was a pretty popular guy!

Pretty soon the guys from Metallica got upset with our habits of "sharing" our favorite songs with one another. All the stories of little old ladies being sent to prison with long sentences and having to forfeit their retirement accounts to Lars Ulrich thanks to the downloading habits of their grand kids ensured that little Tommy was scared to death of Napster. Before long Napster started to convert to a pay service and eventually sold out to Rhapsody.

Rhapsody is getting ready to bring back our beloved brand. Apparently they will begin to rebrand back to Napster very soon. They have found out that the Napster brand is far more recognizable than Rhapsody. The change has already taken place in Canada. The service will remain the same all that changes is the name.

Does the name change bring back any late 90's memories for you guys?

BigOrangeDroid

Reaction score
Really interesting news. Wonder if the bad vibes and negative baggage associated with the original Napster will be a good idea ... it might increase the hype but it might keep some people away too. Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Napster can rot in hell!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Napster can rot in hell!

Why? I had dual 56k modems going back in 1999-2000. Lol days to download, now it's seconds.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
...ahhh the good ole days of Napster!
I think it's a little late for the brand itself. People have moved on and regardless of the name the streaming music business is already oversaturated, IMO.

S5 tap'n

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Streaming is just so much easier than downloading and there are so many choices for services now. I've tried a lot of them but I got lured back to Google Play Music now that I get YouTube Red and YT Music as well. I use my earnings from Google Rewards App to pay for it each month. I used to like Beats Audio until Apple bought it and perverted it to the dark side and turned it into Apple Music. Curse you Apple!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Streaming is just so much easier than downloading and there are so many choices for services now. I've tried a lot of them but I got lured back to Google Play Music now that I get YouTube Red and YT Music as well. I use my earnings from Google Rewards App to pay for it each month. I used to like Beats Audio until Apple bought it and perverted it to the dark side and turned it into Apple Music. Curse you Apple!
I use Google Play Music not just for what they have, but also for the 3,800+ CDs I ripped to FLAC and stored on the cloud. I have access to my entire music library from anywhere, and yes - I am on a grandfathered UDP.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I use Google Play Music not just for what they have, but also for the 3,800+ CDs I ripped to FLAC and stored on the cloud. I have access to my entire music library from anywhere, and yes - I am on a grandfathered UDP.
I like Google Play because if I want to hear a specific song I can just search and play it. For music storage you should check into iBroadcast. I have uploaded most of my music there. They have a great web interface for playback/uploading and a nice mobile app. Best part is it's totally free.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guess the "everything old is new again" finally made its way to technology.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
3800 CDs? I have about 20.
4436199a187d3ba74ea6cf6ef4a93955.jpg

Just a portion of them. I actually have around 4,000+ but stopped counting at around 3,800.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
buying music and movies hasn't been the same since napster days. even when they killed it, it's alternatives like gnutella, kazaa, limewire, morphius kept the pirates satisfied. peer to peer sharing gave birth to bittorrent and riaa with mpaa had a heart attack.

thank you napster, but your services are no longer required.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
buying music and movies hasn't been the same since napster days. even when they killed it, it's alternatives like gnutella, kazaa, limewire, morphius kept the pirates satisfied. peer to peer sharing gave birth to bittorrent and riaa with mpaa had a heart attack.

thank you napster, but your services are no longer required.
Glad you didn't mention newsgroups. Phew. Wouldn't want the *IAA to know about them.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I was on mIRC for quite a while back in the days. But yes, I dont think Napster will survive today with so much streaming apps out there